Plasterboard Gaps

an

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently modified a utility room by replacing the existing 90 degree corner to one which is at 45 degrees. I re-built the stud frame and applied new plasterboard on the new studwork. When applying the plasterboard I noticed it does not join exactly to the original and I have gaps of about 3mm. Is this something the plasterer will be able to overcome or should i try to fill the gaps with something.

an

Sponsored Links
skrim tape the joints and the plaster will take care of the rest no probs!.

If i may butt in here, alastair, i have much bigger gaps in my wall where odd un-straight lines don't meet. Sometimes over 10mm. What i've done is either filled them with board adhesive as i've stuck them down, or filled them later with a silicon filler then scrimmed over them.

Is this ok too?

Thanks

If i may butt in here, alastair, i have much bigger gaps in my wall where odd un-straight lines don't meet. Sometimes over 10mm. What i've done is either filled them with board adhesive as i've stuck them down, or filled them later with a silicon filler then scrimmed over them.

Is this ok too?

Thanks

thats fine kjacko long as you remember to use skrim tape at all the seams.

Sponsored Links
The boards should be butted together; if you have gaps it won't matter but fill them first. If you don’t fill before taping you may well end up with a tell tale ridge in the finished skim along the line of the join; this is caused by the skim failing to penetrate sufficiently through the mesh tape into the void behind; it also makes the plaster over the join weaker & more liable to crack.

What i've done is either filled them with board adhesive as i've stuck them down, or filled them later with a silicon filler then scrimmed over them.

Is this ok too?

Thanks
Board adhesive is OK but I wouldn’t use silicone, nothing much sticks to it. I just rough fill with a little Multi or if the gaps are larger, Bonding & then reinforcing tape; but maybe wasteful to buy a whole bag Bonding just to fill a few gaps.

Thanks Richard. I still got some board adhesvice left so i'll use that.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back