Plasterboard in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Folks,

Wondering if I could have some assistance on a professional install that we're having done - ideally I'm seeking reassurance but I'm not so naive as to expect that will be forthcoming :)

We're having the bathroom replaced in our house, with the addition of an electric shower over the bath (was previously just a bath with a two-high row of tiles round three sides). Installer cut away the plasterboard with the tiles as it's apparently easier than trying to get the tiles off. He's replaced it with standard plasterboard and skimmed (not taped) the joints. Am I right to be concerned? I'd have thought it ought to have been moisture resistant board that was used - that's what was there before and it's surely going to be subject to more moisture with a shower.

Is there anything in the building regs that says it must be moisture resistant, or is it just good practice? We have a ensuite shower enclosure with a thermostatic unit so this is just a back-up and won't be regularly used.

What's the official line on this? Should I say nothing, or get them to redo it?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Sponsored Links
In reality there are millions of houses with just ordinary plasterboard behind the ties behind showered areas and they’re generally OK. But for the tiny additional cost when considering the whole cost its daft not to fit it. I’d get him to changed it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the help, gents. Had a bit more of a dig about last night and I think I'm right in saying that there are no Building Regs covering this but the NHBC say it needs to be moisture resistant PB at baths and showers. As it's a fairly new build, what I seem to be getting is a lower standard than was originally installed, which I'm not exactly delighted with.

As it turns out, my wife came home last night and spotted that the bath was the wrong size (funny how your focus goes to different things, isn't it?) so we're going to have to have a discussion about it all anyway!

Thanks for the help, gents. Had a bit more of a dig about last night and I think I'm right in saying that there are no Building Regs covering this but the NHBC say it needs to be moisture resistant PB at baths and showers. As it's a fairly new build, what I seem to be getting is a lower standard than was originally installed, which I'm not exactly delighted with.

As it turns out, my wife came home last night and spotted that the bath was the wrong size (funny how your focus goes to different things, isn't it?) so we're going to have to have a discussion about it all anyway!

It doesn't matter as long as he tanks it, MR plasterboard still falls apart on contact with water, it is completely inadequate. - tanking is the key.

He has however completely wasted his time and money by skimming it if its being tiled. Theres no need and unskimmed board is a better surface to tile on, and it can support more weight

Thanks tpt - when I say 'skimmed' it's only across the joints, in the main it's plain board. We've agreed that he'll tank it before the tiles go on.

Ah right, thats fine then. Once tanked it'll be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back