preparing walls of bathroom to tile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a bathroom to tile which is only 1.5m x 2m, so quite small and from previous posts have established the best method for sorting out the existing rough walls is to dot and dab with plasterboard and use aquapanel where the shower will be (there wont be any bath).

I was thinking of using 12.5mm moisture resistant (green stuff) plasterboard on all the walls as the room is so small and it is a bathroom, obviously except where the aquapanel is.

The moisture resistant stuff does not seem so much more cost then standard, and seems appropriate for the room or am I going over the top using this, ie which would you use?

Also can I fix the aquapanel in place with the same adhesive as the plasterboard with the dot and dab method?

Also where would you aquapanel, I was thinking from floor to ceiling in shower area and slightly overlapping the walls of the shower, is this the correct way?

With the aquapanel do I need to do anything with the joints to stop moisture getting through at these points?

With the plasterboard do you normally do anything with the joints if it is to be tiled as they wont matter or will they?

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I was thinking of using 12.5mm moisture resistant (green stuff) plasterboard on all the walls as the room is so small and it is a bathroom, obviously except where the aquapanel is.

The moisture resistant stuff does not seem so much more cost then standard, and seems appropriate for the room or am I going over the top using this, ie which would you use?
In such a small area I would use Aquapanel (or Hardiebacker board) throughout. It will be much easier than changing materials and coping with the joint.

Also can I fix the aquapanel in place with the same adhesive as the plasterboard with the dot and dab method?
No. You need to use either packed battens or the Knauf framework (or equivalent framework).

Also where would you aquapanel, I was thinking from floor to ceiling in shower area and slightly overlapping the walls of the shower, is this the correct way?
Spot on. Aim to go between 50mm to 100mm beyond the tray, depending on which is cosmetically suitable.

With the aquapanel do I need to do anything with the joints to stop moisture getting through at these points?
Yes. Knauf sell waterproof jointing stuff. If you read the installation instructions it will explain. Let me know if you can't find them online.

With the plasterboard do you normally do anything with the joints if it is to be tiled as they wont matter or will they?
Whatever backing materials you choose, you need to pay attention to the joints to avoid a ridge that will make the tiles stand off at that point.

Any help appreciated.
Remember that with tiling (as with most things), 80% of the effort should go on preparing the walls, and getting the plumb and flat. If you do that the tiling will be very straightforward and will last for many years without a hitch.

If you're replacing the tray, pay a lot of attention to the floor too. As with the walls, it cannot be too rigid.

Sponsored Links
Blimey! In theory, then, I'm doing too much preparation, and I could spend about 12.5% less time preparing. Unless, of course, I'm just fast at the gluing-on stage. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back