Tiling on Aquapanel.

This is the quote Joe was on about, but no mention of Crafty.

The Knauf Aquapanel does indeed allow moisture through the board over
time. The level of water resistance and water proofness you require for
a domestic use can be achieved just the tiling and grouting. The board
is designed to maintain its strength and performance although completely
wet, so if the tiling or grouting does fail, the board will still
maintain.

The use of a tanking or vapour control layer behind the board is only
suggested for commercial areas such as public changing rooms or swimming
pool areas. For a domestic shower this is required, although you can
incorporate it if you prefer.

Please note the smooth surface of the board is ready to receive tiling.
Should a tanking system be used to this face of the board, we would not
be able to guarantee the adhesion of the tanking system to the board or
the tiles onto the tanking system.

We hope this information is sufficient. Please do not hesitate to
contact us should you require further information.

Kind Regards,

Harinder Kaur
Technical Support Officer - Knauf UK Gmbh

So what Knauf are saying is that you can, if you like, tank the other side of the aquapanel and maintain the warranty, but if you tank the tiling surface they cannot guarantee the bond between tanking product and aquapanel. This means that they will not guarantee another company's product will adhere to their Aquapanel. Would you expect them to? :confused:
Tanking Aquapanel is fine and is, as I have said, better than Aquapanel alone. But..... if you tank Aquapanel, water will not get to the Aquapanel anyway, so there's not really any reason to do anything more than tank plasterboard in shower areas.

Sponsored Links
What they are saying is that it doesn't need tanking.

I'd say that, generally the best surfaces for successful tiling are as follows:
1. Aquapanel and tank in shower areas.
2. Plasterboard and tank around shower areas.
3. Aquapanel without tanking.
4. Plasterboard without tanking.

Personally I'd rather use plasterboard and just tank around the shower areas rather than using Aquapanel throughout - once you have a waterproof barrier on your plasterboard in the wet areas you're laughing.

If you want to spend the extra on Aquapanel that's your business. You can dot and dab Aquapanel but you want to be fitting screws through the adhesive once it's gone off.

The flatter your wall is, the easier it will be to tile and the better the result will be - so time spent preparing the wall is usually time well spent.
If you decide to tank, you only need to do around the shower area.
Can i check with you that tiling over dry wall made of two kinds of backing board - Aquapanel in the wet area and plasterboard around the wet area - is ok and that the tiles/grout won't crack where the two boards meet? If I understand correctly, I need to tank the plasterboard but I don't need to tank the Aquapanel, is that right? Thanks in advance for your advice

Can i check with you that tiling over dry wall made of two kinds of backing board - Aquapanel in the wet area and plasterboard around the wet area - is ok and that the tiles/grout won't crack where the two boards meet? If I understand correctly, I need to tank the plasterboard but I don't need to tank the Aquapanel, is that right? Thanks in advance for your advice

Why have you hijacked & raised your query on a 4 year old thread whilst asking my advice on your current thread :rolleyes: . As I have explained in replying to you current thread, gcol no longer posts & hasn’t done so since December so I doubt you’ll get any response from him.

If you would care to post back on your current thread I will answer your question but if you have no faith in what I’m advising you then I’ll save my time & won’t bother.

Sponsored Links
Oops. sorry. I posted in the other thread having found it in Google. I didnt noitice it was an old thread :oops:

I appreciate your help. Your replies to my questions have been very helpful and comprehensive. My apologies for putting my foot it it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back