Tiling on Aquapanel.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to remove the wall tiles in my bathroom and I'm expecting most of the plaster to come with them. My plan is to clear the entire wall and replace with Aquapanel and then tile directly onto the Aquapanel.

My question is, do I need to do anything to the Aquapanel to prepare it for tiling? Do I seal it with anything or seal the joins between boards? Also, what is the best way to fix it to the wall, plasterboard screws or dot and dab?

One more question: If I happen to get really lucky and the tiles come off without destorying the wall, what would I have to do to prepare the surface for re-tiling? Would I need to grind down the old adhesive and tank the wall?

Sponsored Links
I'd say that, generally the best surfaces for successful tiling are as follows:
1. Aquapanel and tank and shower areas.
2. Plasterboard and tank around shower areas.
3. Aquapanel without tanking.
4. Plasterboard without tanking.

Personally I'd rather use plasterboard and just tank around the shower areas rather than using Aquapanel throughout - once you have a waterproof barrier on your plasterboard in the wet areas you're laughing.

If you want to spend the extra on Aquapanel that's your business. You can dot and dab Aquapanel but you want to be fitting screws through the adhesive once it's gone off.

The flatter your wall is, the easier it will be to tile and the better the result will be - so time spent preparing the wall is usually time well spent.
If you decide to tank, you only need to do around the shower area.

Thanks for the reply. My shower is over the bath so I assume I'll only have to tank the area near the showerhead. I'm not sure what is a good tanking system to use. Is this one anygood?

http://www.wetroom.info/aquaproof.h...eal where the wall meets the top of the bath?

Sponsored Links
Brilliant! Thanks gcol - and the Dunlop kit is less than half the price of the Aquaproof one.

gcol said:
I'd say that, generally the best surfaces for successful tiling are as follows:
1. Aquapanel and tank and shower areas.
2. Plasterboard and tank around shower areas.
3. Aquapanel without tanking.
4. Plasterboard without tanking.
97. 18 m/m WBP plywood

Yes, thats about right.......................................... ;)

The manufacturers of Aquapanel don't recommend tanking. In fact it invalidates the guarantee.

Knauf, the manufacturers of Aquapanel won't recommend tanking because it basically does away with the need for Aquapanel (which is why I recommended the use of plasterboard with a tanking product) and also because they sell their own waterproofing product for Aquapanel (Q4 finish).

Doesn't the name "Aquapanel" sort of give you a clue as to what it's for?

Knauf has been selling this stuff worldwide for 20 years. Don't you think that someone somewhere would have noticed if it didn't work ?

gcol said:
You can dot and dab Aquapanel but you want to be fitting screws through the adhesive once it's gone off.
Er, did you mean "you want", or "you don't want"? :confused:

I won't mention WBP at this stage. ;)

joe-90 said:
Doesn't the name "Aquapanel" sort of give you a clue as to what it's for?

Knauf has been selling this stuff worldwide for 20 years. Don't you think that someone somewhere would have noticed if it didn't work ?
joe, we've been around this one before - rather than restart the argument that wasn't resolved before, it would be better to direct the OP (and anyone else who isn't prone to having suicidal feelings) to that other topic.

Softus said:
joe, we've been around this one before - rather than restart the argument that wasn't resolved before, it would be better to direct the OP (and anyone else who isn't prone to having suicidal feelings) to that other topic.

It was resolved. Crafty emailed Knauf Technical department and they said 'no tanking'.

joe-90 said:
Crafty emailed Knauf Technical department and they said 'no tanking'.

"Your search - ((Knauf OR Aquapanel) forum_id:30) author:"Crafty" - did not match any documents."

:?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back