Plasterboard over airbricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am plasterboarding an external wall which is now inside a new conservatory. This wall has two airbiricks below the original wood floor level which are level with the conservatory floor. I.e. there is a step from the original house to the conservatory the depth of the air brick.
The wall is on the north side side of the house. There are two open airbricks to the south side & one on the west side. The house is a typical 1930s semi.
What considerations do I need to make if any to these airbricks? Can I plaster over or should I cut around the airbricks ?

Sponsored Links
Thats what I thought & was planning to do.
I have a sub question- do regulations allow me to ventilate the floor into the conservatory. It doesn't bother me, but I'm thinking of how a surveyor may look at it if I sell the house in the future.

venting into a conservitory is fine

except may cause a draught especialy on windy days via any other connected vent going to the outside

Sponsored Links
Your air bricks wont work as they should not be going into a sealed conservatory. Who ever fitted the conservatory should have moved or installed new air bricks to the outside of the building. Guess you have concrete base? Well they should of put vents under base to outside connecting the old vents. In order for the vents to work they must have air flow ( outside air flow) to opposite sides of the building. If not you will get dead spots leading to damp and many other problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back