Plasterboard over celotex.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all
Looking to mechanically fix foil backed plasterboard to the underside of rafters on an outbuilding's flat roof, and sandwich 50-70mm celotex in between the rafter and plasterboard (insulate under the rafter). In addition to 100mm friction fit Omni slab between rafters.
I've done this before with 25mm pir, and tacked the celotex up first using clout nails, but I wondered if anyone's had experience using thicker pir insulation.....didn't want extra movement and cause plaster skim to crack 6m down the line.
Any advice very much appreciated.

Thanks all
Deano

Sponsored Links
You could screw to rafters using penny washers under the head of 100m screws. and stagger the joints of the boards and insulation. could even lay in opposite direction too. You'd need some long plaster board screw though and i don't know what lengths they come in???

50mm is doable by tacking the PIR up first then using 100mm drywall screws.
70mm could get tricky, 120mm drywall screws? They tend to be hard work and flex

Sponsored Links
Just use a screw that gives you 40-50mm of fixing into the joist, and once the boards are fixed tight there wont be any movement. Make sure the board joints are bonded relative to the insulation joints, and max. 200mm spacings for the fixings.

Thank you all. In theory I thought it would be fine going upto 50mm, your responses have helped reassure me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back