Plasterboard, plaster, shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have pulled the tiles off a plasterboard wall behind a bath/shower, the wall is a bit damp in the corner and a bit of a mess as some tiles pulled the plaster off with them.

I know the proper thing to do would be to replace the plasterboard but this is a bit of sprucing up job (before selling) rather than a major refit, so don't want to pull the bath out etc.

So if I try to make the wall flat by repairing the plasterboard and filling/skimming with plaster or filler is that ok to then tile on or should I try skimming with the actual adhesive? If I use a little filler or plaster do I really have to wait 4 weeks (as it says on the adhesive instructions) and does it needing priming/sealing?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You could try some rapid set adhesive,goes off in a few hours but you have answered your own question in that you should really replace it even if it is just sprucing up for resale.

I know the proper thing to do would be to replace the plasterboard but this is a bit of sprucing up job (before selling)
Then do the proper thing; you’d have done better to leave it as it was, at least it would have been honest. Now you've uncovered the crap, what you’re proposing goes beyond a "sprucing up" job, its deceit. It will cause even more problems for the poor unsuspecting soul who actually buys your property, have the decency make a proper repair. Moralistic, yes, but this isn't a bodger's forum & I truly hope you get caught out; unfortunately I fear you will eventually con some poor soul :evil: & if you do, I hope someone else catches you out equally as good in the future; what goes around comes around ;)

Shame on you Lance for even going along with it, I expected more :cry: but at least you added a rider I suppose.

...well rich .....thats him told... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ... ;)

op...shame on you!!!!!!!!!!!!.....

Sponsored Links
I'm not really trying to deceive anyone (I'm expecting to be in there for another year anyway), its just I can't really replace the plasterboard without pulling the whole bath out etc and I need to keep the bathroom operational. Trying to avoid a major refit as don't have time, skill or money!

The plasterboard is in good enough condition to hold tiles and act a solid enough wall (is just one corner). Some expanding foam in the cavity between board will prob make it stronger than it ever was.

I was hoping if I use the right stuff water won't penetrate at all any more so the new owner will never have a problem.

cant you cut out the plasterboard in a square and screw and batten behind and fix a new piece in place?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back