Plasterboard sheet size for ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a look online and found the following two sizes of 12.5mm thick plasterboard:

1800 x 900 x 12.5mm
1220 x 600 x 12.5mm

If putting up the plasterboard (using screws not nails) onto a ceiling oneself, do you think the larger size would be manageable - or best use the smaller?

The gap between the joists is 28 cm.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Possom, good evening.

A lot will depend on have you done this before?

Other factors are how high is the ceiling? are you intent on using some sort of scaffold or similar for access?

And finally, how is your fitness level?

Suggest you consider using a so called "dead man" that is a length of something like 50. mm X 50. mm post with a similar dimentioned cross head to assist when you are working alone and the correctly positioned "dead man" will assist in taking a lot of the weight of the board.

Ken

do you think the larger size would be manageable

Yes, maybe. It’s still smaller than the full size 2400x1200 boards.
The smaller boards would be easier though.

Definitely MUCH easier with two people, or if you REALLY have no friends then definitely hire or make some tools to help.
(I got a couple of extending props cheap in B&Q last year.)

Sponsored Links
I do 1.2x2.4's alone. Admittedly as one-off projects and wouldn't like to make a career if it, but perfectly doable if you rig up a dead man, plus I have three of those plasterboard telescopic jack-props.

The worst one are the ones in the middle of the ceiling. The ones that but up against a wall are much easier.

1200 x 2400 are much much cheaper per sq metre than the small boards. You can do them on your own with a deadman (where one end is against a wall) and/or with a batten screwed to the joists for mid room but it is loads easier, safer and quicker to get some mates over for an afternoon with a slab of beer as a reward.

I used a small portable step similar to this.
https://goo.gl/images/GAAc2h
To put up full size sheets on ceiling . Used a piece of plastic waste pipe cut just short of ceiling height on each corner pole . Cut to 45 degrees on stand end . Lifted sheet onto top of pipe then rotated each in turn onto top of pipe fixing plasterboard tight to ceiling .

The worst one are the ones in the middle of the ceiling. The ones that but up against a wall are much easier.
Seen these? Better than screwing a piece of 2 x 1 batten onto the ceiling. They really do help with 8 x 4s even when working alone:

The design is slightly different to the one in the video (which is of an early version), but they still work well.

Last year at the age of 64, and not in full health I managed the bathroom ceiling - very awkward - I made a T-shaped “dead man” very easily, and already had a small prop for the other end. I bought two 2400x1200 boards and chopped them down the middle, screwed ‘em up easily! I Put my cut edge against the walls (as I was putting coving up anyway) and tape and jointing compound on the tapered, joining edges.

I’m useless at skimming, so got a plaster in to do that, I am pleased to say he thought I’d done a good really professional job at boarding..........don’t know if he was joking, but he even offered me a job helping him on a big job he was doing the following week! (I declined!).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back