Plasterboard size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a question about plasterboard size for a garden office. It's built in to an angle at the end of the garden, so is a rectangle with a corner cut out. PIR (Celotex type) insulation between the studs, more on top of them for thermal bridging and vapour barrier, then 25x50 battens to create a service void and to hold the plasterboards.

The internal walls are approximately 2.1m high, with widths ranging from 1.1 to 2.8m long.

A friend who has previously done drywalling as a labourer will be helping with the finish which we will attempt with tape, compound, etc. And yes, it won't be up to pro standard, but cost is a factor. And yes, a skim wouldn't be that expensive, but still. (It's a backup option if I'm not happy with the finish.)

My question is whether it makes sense to use 3m lengths (from an online supplier) on the long walls to reduce the number of joints, vs. the increased difficulty in handling, and other factors I've read about like settlement, pressures, etc.

Likewise for the ceilings, assuming we can get enough hands to hold up the heavy board?

Boards will be supported on all edges, 400mm centres, etc.

Thanks in advance,
David

Sponsored Links
I personally would only use 3m boards if the ceiling height was higher than the standard 2.4m. If you are taping jointing, you really need the tapered edge going vertically, if you board long edge way then you will have square edges butted up on the vertical line.
With regards to ceilings, would still use 2.4m boards, for handling reasons. But if you want to use 3m ones, go for it

I would go with plaster boards that are not going to be too much waste on the width of the joists.. Work out what are the joists size between each one and use plaster boards to suit...And use tapered edged boards and tape and skim them level before you skim the whole ceiling. (Uni-bond the joints before you skim the ceiling) Or SBR them.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks both, very helpful! And sorry for the delay in replying/thanking... our second son arrived five weeks early (with some initial complications) so been a bit of a whirlwind.

Good point on the tapered edges if boarding long edge, and if I 'just' tape and joint myself, without a skim to save the money, I was trying to work out ways to reduce the amount of joins. :)

There will be some wastage unfortunately but at least it's just one small room so not too bad.

Thanks again for the thoughts and advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back