Will a plasterer be able to plaster this after I've applied plasterboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Not the best worded question in the world but I was struggling how to get my point across in the title!

My question is this..... I'm building a stud chimney breast to hold a gas fire and a TV. I'm going to add back-lights behind the TV and various sockets etc. So, I wanted to apply the plasterboard myself and then get the plasterer in when it's all done in order to plaster it up.

Here's the fireplace so far so you get an idea...

IMG_20180421_192350.jpg

I can buy the fire-resistant plasterboard, cut it to size/shape and screw it to the wood.

However I've absolutely no clue when it comes to plastering/applying plasterboard so I wondered if I need to buy the beading for the edges or whether that can just go on afterwards?

Basically, I don't want to plasterboard everything up and then the plasterer come and tell me that I should have done X,Y,Z before applying the plasterboard and that it will need to be re-done for him to plaster it up.

Also, on the edges, is there any preference which board 'edge' is exposed? i.e. I was going to put the sides on first and then put the front on so that the exposed edges aren't visible from the front of the fireplace? Would this be acceptable or is there a reason to do it differently?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Cheers

John :)

Sponsored Links
I did something similar but I put ply on first, then the plasterboard. Don't do the edges yourself - the plasterer will put his own beads on the edges.

I did something similar but I put ply on first, then the plasterboard. Don't do the edges yourself - the plasterer will put his own beads on the edges.

Why did you put ply on first if you don't mind me asking?

The problem is that I really need the sides on first and then cut the plasterboard out for my patch panel (speaker wall plate etc) and then mount the front afterwards. What I might do then is have a look on YouTube on how to do the sides and then have a go at that myself so I can get the beading on ready for the plasterer.

721BC4A9-AB8F-451A-8942-E396517C5E9E.jpeg
Dunno really. Just for a bit more strength I suppose as I was planning on hanging a heavy mirror on it (that we hadnt bought) and didn’t know if the fixing points would be in line with the studs.

My mate did the plastering for me and he prefers to fit his own beads. You really won’t save more than 5 minutes for the plasterer if you did it right, it takes them no time at all to do it and if your plasterer is the same as my mate, he'll have his own type of beads that he will cut and fit before he starts or as he goes along. If you already have a plasterer lined up, ask them what to do or how much prep they want you to do.

I would imaging you may need to lay a small strip in the reveal of each opening in which case I imagine your plasterer will use a combination of angle beads on the outside edges and a stop bead on the inner edge but again, I wouldn’t try to second guess him and I’d leave it all to him.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
That looks the business!!! Great work!!

Yep, good advice on the plasterer. I'm getting the kitchen done next week so I'll catch the plasterer and ask him what he thinks and how much prep he would want if he was doing the job.

Thanks again for your help :)

You probably already know, but make sure you join all the boards on a stud, and plenty of screws. Small board gaps won’t be an issue, plasterer will sort it

You probably already know, but make sure you join all the boards on a stud, and plenty of screws. Small board gaps won’t be an issue, plasterer will sort it

Thanks 23vc,

Yep, I'll join the boards on the studs. I've ordered some Fireline board (tapered) that will arrive today.

I'm going to ask the plasterer to skim the whole thing but was told that they can still skim on tapered board (only ordered tapered board as I want to start on Monday and they didn't have any Square board).

I'm going to put six pieces of plasterboard on to the fireplace. Two at the sides full length.

Then the front will be done in quarters (i.e. above the mantle will be two pieces butt up together in the centre and below the mantle will be two pieces butt up together the same as the top).

What do you think to that?

Yeah sounds fine. I’ve used fire line boards on chimney breasts before too, don’t think it’s strictly necessary as it’s more for protecting ceilings and steels for 2 hours or whatever fire resistance but won’t do any harm. Tapered board needs filling out first

Yeah sounds fine. I’ve used fire line boards on chimney breasts before too, don’t think it’s strictly necessary as it’s more for protecting ceilings and steels for 2 hours or whatever fire resistance but won’t do any harm. Tapered board needs filling out first

That's great 23vc. I'm going to let the plasterer fill the tapered board out. I just wanted to make sure it could be done. Thanks for the help. :)

The plasterer will use scrim on the joints anyway.

Great stuff Motman. I'm happy to crack on then and let the plasterer do his thing at the end.

Thanks again for all the great advice :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back