Plasterboarding bathrooms, one as wet room and one standard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Few quick questions

1. for my main bathrom i intend to build it as a wet room using the impey wet deck, what plasterboard should i use, or do you use ply which i think I have seen in some pictures?

I intend to tile floor, walls and ceiling

2. for a standard ensuite do i just use the waterproof board that all builders yards supply

Thanks

Sponsored Links
1. for my main bathrom i intend to build it as a wet room using the impey wet deck, what plasterboard should i use,
I would not advise PB (even MRPB) in a wet room, you will have to tank the lot if you want it to last; use a truly waterproof tile backer board - Wedi or Marmox. tank all joins & the junction between floor a walls.

or do you use ply which i think I have seen in some pictures?
I would never ever use ply anywhere in a wet room or bath/shower room except for conventional tiled floors (then only WBP), it’s useless in wet areas unless it's fully tanked.

I intend to tile floor, walls and ceiling
Tiling the ceiling is definitely not a good idea; your going to find it extremely difficult & you will be restricted by weight. The maximum permissible tile weight over plasterboard walls is 32 kg/sqm or 20 kg/sqm if plastered (including 2-4kq/sqm for adhesive & grout), put this overhead & you will probably have to halve the permissible weight. It also hurts quiet a lot if the tiles fall on your head :eek:

2. for a standard ensuite do i just use the waterproof board that all builders yards supply
For standard bath/shower rooms, use a waterproof tile backer board in wet areas, MR PB is OK everywhere else. Tile straight onto it for max weight tiles but it must be primed if you want to plaster over. Use only 12.5mm PB not 9.5mm. Use only quality trade adhesive/grout of the correct type for your backing & tiles; avoid cheapo DIY products.

Research your project thoroughly before starting, it could avoid you making expensive mistakes ;)

my mistake didnt mean tileing the ceilings, they will all be skimmed.

"truly waterproof tile backer board - Wedi or Marmox" got any links?

as for tanking i see most kits come with the tanking solution?

Sponsored Links
For standard bath/shower rooms, use a waterproof tile backer board in wet areas, MR PB is OK everywhere else. Tile straight onto it for max weight tiles but it must be primed if you want to plaster over. Use only 12.5mm PB not 9.5mm. Use only quality trade adhesive/grout of the correct type for your backing & tiles; avoid cheapo DIY products.

I have purchased some aqua board for my ensuite bathroom. Question is should i do the whole room with it or just the shower area?

should the ceiling be aqueboarded as well?

ta.

I have purchased some aqua board for my ensuite bathroom. Question is should i do the whole room with it or just the shower area?
If you mean Knauf Aquabord, it's only a moisture resistant gypsum plasterboard which is OK for bath/shower rooms in general but not for wet areas unless tanked; for wet areas use Aquapanel or one of the other waterproof backer boards I linked.
should the ceiling be aqueboarded as well?
You can but it’s a bit OTT & will need priming before skimming; standard 12.5mm wallboard is fine as long as it’s plaster skimmed.

its the knauff stuff, already up so will need to tank it, floor to ceiling of just the junctions and lower walls?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back