Plasterboarding ceiling on own

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oh my god! What a nightmare. Made a couple of dead man handles got some staging but bloody hell, damn near killed myself doing it today. Got another 2 days at this pace. Need to enlist a helper, even if it’s just to wedge the dead man handles in place. 8x4s are a lot bigger when balanced on your head. Doing 4 screws width ways per joist.

Any fantastic tips for lone boarding?

Sponsored Links
Look up “board mate” on YouTube
Or use 6x3s/cut the boards up a bit smaller
I think you need more than 4 screws across 1200mm too

Get a plasterboard lifter, pick up one secondhand if you have to and sell afterwards. Will make so much easier!

Attachments

• 2F279D47-899E-4A8A-A08B-4CAA4932BE72.jpeg
    2F279D47-899E-4A8A-A08B-4CAA4932BE72.jpeg
    310.1 KB · Views: 205
Sponsored Links
In smaller rooms where many of the ceiling boards meet the walls, screw battens horizontally into the walls near the top. You can lift the boards up and slot them in between the batten and the joists. That gives good solid support to that edge.

A week after I boarded my first ceiling I found props reduced to IIRC £6 in B&Q. Haven’t used them yet.

I did a ceiling with two layers of boards. First layer I cut the boards in half and did it myself; second layer was whole boards with a helper. We lifted them into position and did the first few screws together, then he finished screwing while I measured and cut the next board.

I agree you should probably have more than 4 screws per 1200mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back