plasterboarding kitchen ceiling is this right ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I worked out that to do my ceiling I would need a certain no of 1200 x 900 and 1800 x 900 12.5 mm boards however my Wickes only has 1800 x 900.
So am starting again and will have to cut somewhere. The room is 383 cm x 307 cm but there is an alcove of 47cm x 155 cm to fit round.
The joists start 3 cm from the edge wall and are every @ 40 cm apart so I can't 'start at the corners' as the wickes person suggested
Is it best to fit these across the joists (at right angles) or along the joists ? does it matter as long as secure.
Also on my previous post I was advised to fit them - with one board butting the join on the other like bricks - but this will mean more cutting.
Finally Wickes told me to use plasterboard plugs and screws - is this right ? do you really have to drill 10mm holes in the joists (2") and push in a plastic fitting before screwing in ? what if this splits the wood....can you screw straight into the joists or is this worse ?
The previous owner just used big nails and a big hammer. thanks for your patience !

Sponsored Links
get full size from someone like travis perkins or any builders yard that delivers 2400x1200 (8ftx4ft) there cheap enough

Don’t fart around with small boards, get full size 2.4m x 1.2m x 12.5mm boards, it‘s cheaper & they are not as difficult to put up as you might imagine; even on your own! They can be cut very easily by cutting through the white paper face with a Stanley knife, snapping the board & cutting through the backer; or cut with an old rip saw but that makes a lot of mess & won’t do your saw much good. Always fix white side facing outwards/downwards, it’s this side that gets plastered. Don’t know what the Wickes bloke is on about with the plasterboard plugs, use plasterboard screws on every joist spaced at 200mm max; don’t use nails. Fit the boards with the longest side running across the joists with a 2-3mm gap at joins & stagger adjacent boards so the short edge joins are in the centre of a joist & not in line with the next board; don’t worry about the 3cm overhang on the first joist to the wall it won’t matter. The joints must be taped but I suspect you’ll be leaving that to your plasterer. ;)

Sponsored Links
thank you so much - I don't know why wickes sold me plasterboard plastic plugs for wood ? even the packet looks like the plugs go into a wall
Perhaps Wickes could use this forum for training staff ??? thanks again. :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back