Plasterboarding over lathe and plaster ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've found the joists and will set 45mm drywall screws into them and cut the boards to end along a joist.

What do I do where the boards meet at 90 degrees to the joists and there's obviously nothing to screw into. The joists are 14 inches apart. I presume the ends will move and crack over time?

Sponsored Links
I hope your using 12.5mm boards not 9.5mm :confused: How thick is your existing lath & plaster ceiling? 45mm screws sounds too short even with 9.5mm boards, the screws need to be long enough to give 25mm penetration into the joists. Spacing should be a max 230mm but I fix @ 200mm max.

You should always board with the longest edge across the joists, stagger the short edge joints (brick fashion) trim boards if necessary to meet along the center of a joist. Your joists are quiet close together so with 12.5mm boards you shouldn’t need additional noggins, just reinforce the joins with plasterboard tape as normal; I assume your going to skim the ceiling & not tape & fill? It goes without saying that the joists need to be in good condition with no sagging, over boarding will not sort that out.

Hi I agree with Richard, screw length should be much longer. You need to find out how thick the lath and plaster is and then add around 35mm.

So, at least 60mm then. Screwfix do 60mm and then 75mm drywall screws

Agree also that but joints across the short end have to be over a joist and then both ends can be screwed.

Ian
---------------------------------
Most days you can find me pottering about at polishing peanuts, where I try to find sense in an often bewildering world.
I initially thought "that's nice to get someone from Norway" agreeing with me -- but then I realised your a bleedin spammer; **** off & get a life :evil:

Spammer how so?

I thought spammers tried to sell you stuff you didn't want?

Ok, I put a link to my personal blog, is that a not allowed here? If so, I do apologize.

Do spammers usually post their photo and all their details etc Richard?

I came here from the Screwfix forum because it has failed since a recent 'makeover'.

Maybe I'll give it another chance!

Sponsored Links
Ok, got it now :oops:

Being a builder for 25 years I have been called a few things in my time.....but spammer?

Thanks for comment about blog, its a hobby, (the TV in Norway is incomprehensible ****!)

I guess that I get fed up with some *helpful* DIY sites out there that are well short on real advice. Thats where forums are cool, at least you get to answer real questions for real people trying to get a job done.

Have a good weekend mate, its minus ten here but its going to be a sunny one.
:)

Ok, got it now :oops:
Being a builder for 25 years I have been called a few things in my time.....but spammer?
Sorry maybe I was a bit harsh if you made a genuine mistake. It’s just that we occasionally get blitzed by spammers making multiple posts with no real intention of giving any advise, they just waste our time & come out with a load of old garbage, sometimes resurrecting threads that are many years old just so they can include their product website links; got to admit I didn’t even look at yours.

Maybe I’ll change that to a “welcome to the Forum then”. ;)

Thanks Richard,

I'll admit I am a monkey for not looking at dates on forum posts......

Along with checking my rear view mirror before overtaking, putting the toilet lid down, starting stuff and getting distracted......

And I am sure that if you were to ask my wife, she could no doubt add to the list of my 'failings' :p

Have a good weekend Richard,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back