Plasterboarding workshop ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to plasterboard my workshop ceiling:

This is a small outbuilding away from the house and ive noticed a bit of damp or mould in the ply roofing in the ceiling. Currently stuffed rockwool between rafters but needs plasterboarding.
Do i tack up a sheet of damp proof first before fixing the plasterboard, do i use foil backed? Should i have it skimmed after to protect it more from damp?!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Trying to picture what you have.

Is this a pitched roof, sloping lean to, flat roof? Whats the ply, felted roof? Rock wool under this, but nothing below it, hence the idea for plasterboarding it?

Plasterboard hates damp, skimmed, foil backed, even moisture resistant isnt a fan of being wet long term. Its cheap and fire proof, but otherwise not a great material for a outbuilding I wouldnt have said.

The ceiling of my dads workshop is just white polystrene wedges between the rafters, white and insluative all in one. It would be horrable in a fire, but no one is going to be sleeping in there so if there was a fire it would just be a case of getting out and staying out.

Daniel

Hi mate yeah it's a flat roof felt with iirc 18mm Wply, built a few years back now.

Yeah i hear you on the damp hence my concern, although i wanted it soundproofed as i like to crank my music up in there and it's near my neighbours garden, and i dont think they enjoy 132 bpm bass sunday morning.

And i wanted a smooth finish on the ceiling. The walls are block work but ive painted them white, wanted a clean bright finish inside, even though currently it's a fking mess of tools!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back