Plastering a bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Im in the process of fitting out a new bathroom suite and got stuck on my first hurdle. I have removed all the tiles and in doing so 95% of the plaster, as the tiles were falling off it took a lot of the base coat off.

Now im going to be fitting a shower so i want some advice for plastering. Do you think i should patch up the sand and cement mix base coat then plaster on top or do you think i should remove the remaining base coat and dot and dab some aquaboard up

The sand and cement mix is coming off easy in places and not shifting in others. The 2 walls n question are both external walls

Thanks in advance and i hope i have explained myself clearly enough

Sponsored Links
I would remove all failing plaster back to bare wall, then dot'n'dab moisture boards. Aqua panel if you want, but providing the tiling and grout is to a good standard, you will not require anything more than MR boards.
The boards can then be joint taped and tiles applied on to the board without need to plaster finish.

Thats great. I am only wanting to partially tile (where the shower is going to be) however the whole bathroom needs plastering so would you still recommend using moisture board for the rest of the bathroom.

Thanks for the reply

I would only use MR boards in the wet areas, the other areas should be fine.
Remember to leave about 30mm-40mm gap between board and finished floor level, this will prevent board form sucking up any moisture from the floor.

Sponsored Links
not sure if D&D is recommended for moisture resistant board? hasn't it got a silicone in it that prevents it bonding to the adhesive?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back