plastering a whole house & drains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have bought a house -approx. 1900c - old station masters detached house. Very thick walls (at least a foot thick). It was empty for 3 years and was covered in the 1960 fake wooden panelling and velour wall paper on ceiling /doors etc. A hermit lived in it so nothing was repaired/new.YES I bought it...................I have spend a weekend removing the panelling and 1000's of small battening bits nailed into the walls. Now discovered behind is in a right state - as suspected.
Some is brick, some concrete some wattle & dorb( ie straw in a light ,limey muck) .The outside of the house is all brick and the surveyor (full structural survey) said in good order

So do I remove all of the old crumbling, some damp plaster and ceilings (looks like wooden ruler size bits and flakey plaster)? and have it all plastered, or do I plasterboard and get it skimmed? I am prepared to get dirty to reduce the cost.

The house is not big really - looks big from outside, but small rooms inside. What price should I be expecting to receive when asking for quotes for this work? My friend had her 3 bedroom terrace boarded and skimmed recently and it was £5k - I am really hoping its not this much.
I need to have it rewired and plumbed - no usable kitchen just a sink on a table plumbed to an outside drain. Do I get the rewire done before plastering.
Basically what i'm asking is what order do I do things - a whole gut and re-do and an idea of cost to replaster.
I will have to have the outside drains totally redone too because they don't soak away anymore (not on mains drains). I'm assuming this should be done 1st, that way I can plumb straight into - any idea of cost too

cheers - a big ask I know

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back