plastering after first fix electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had the first fix of electrics in my newly built extension. The wall are solid and will be plastered now the electrican has been. However, whilst i am very happy with the electrics, my builder thinks that the socket backplates which are completely recessed in the wall should be sticking out for the plasterer to plaster up to. My electrician has told me the plasterer will plaster around the sockets and he will remove any rough plaster during the 2nd fix. My dilemma is my builder wants to 'pack' the sockets out whilst the electrician says they are fine and leave them - any idea who is right, im of the opinion that a plasterer should be able to plaster even if the sockets are recessed?????

Sponsored Links
In effect they're kind of both right, sort of, in a way....

the electrician is correct in so much as.....the back boxes are ok and the plasterer should indeed be able to go round the back boxes, but it's more hassle for him and easier if they are raised, as you then just plaster up to the edges.....and the plates can then be fixed with longer screws....

The plasterer is also right in so much as...the electrician should ideally have sunk the so they sit proud slightly to allow for the thickness of plaster.

Effectivley they are both saying that they are right, and the other should have/be able to... as it is more work for each party which ever route is chosen. more hassle to plaster, and more hassle to correct the back boxes.

People have no doubt seen this a lot before, each person saying their bit will be okay and is within acceptable tolerance because any inconsistencies will be lost during the next job or jobs i.e. covered by the plaster or the coving etc.

I'm not saying that the previous person [in this, or any other] situation is right or wrong. most things can be correct/compensated for to a degree, but it will make the job of the next person slightly more dificult or time consuming. 'tis the nature of the beast i guess. As long as you end up happy with the end result, thats the bottom line.

Just remember about not to slate the painter 'cos the foundations are out! :LOL:

I have never heard of a sparky askin' for the boxes to be plastered up to. They put them in we render and skim and if they are below finished plaster they use longer screws ;) Ok?

As in the first reply both are 'right' so to speak. I used to do sparking and always left about 1/8" of the back box protruding but it is no great hassle for the plasterer to skim over the boxes and then just run his finger around the inside of the box scooping the bulk of the plaster out leaving the bits for the spark to clean out when he does his second fix.

Sponsored Links
I have never heard of a sparky askin' for the boxes to be plastered up to. They put them in we render and skim and if they are below finished plaster they use longer screws ;) Ok?

Since when did a sparky know how to plaster! :rolleyes: Roy’s right just leave them as they are, any competent plasterer won’t have a problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back