Plastering after removing tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am having a new kitchen fitted on Monday so in preparation I have started removing the old tiles in case any plastering was needed.

I have done 2 out of 3 walls now. They seem to have been attached with a few small dabs on the back of each rather than adhesive all over the wall/tile. They are the original tiles put on when the house was built (12 years ago).

The only damage to the wall is that there are some small areas of (card)board showing (I presume the plasterboard less the skim of plaster) but these are not deep holes at all and there are places where the adhesive is still on the wall.

Is it likely that the new tiles can be put on the wall as is if I get the old bumps of adhesive off with sanding, or will these walls need plastering? Do the areas where the board is visible need something skimming over them? if so, what is best to use. Want to try and get the walls sorted so the fitters can get on on Monday.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't worry too much about your walls, even the areas where the dabs of adhesive are still on. If you can remove them, all well and good, but as long as the boards are sound, and not damaged/fractured in any way, there's not a problem.

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back