Plastering an external wall

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good afternoon everyone.

I'm hoping to find some help....if possible!

So I decided to plaster/render/stucco/cement a wall behind the house. It's 60ft by 3ft.

I want it to look like the photos attached. After many discussions i've been told every which way to get it done and none have had the result I wanted.

I was told cement. Then stucco. Then back to cement. The last guy said acrylic cement which is last on the list of everything else that we've tried.

My gut is that it is a cement finish because it's silky smooth. The Stucco was rough because it has stones in.

Problem is it's 90 degree weather everyday and the cement sets soooo quick.

Is there a specific brand of cement that will end up working? we got the cement on but had zero time to smooth it out etc.

Any help would be really great.

here's some links to examples

http://cortezcolorado.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/smooth-finish.jpg

http://thestuccoguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Smooth-Finish-1.jpg

Thanks lovely people.

Sponsored Links
This is a UK site not a USA site.

Your pics show modern stucco thats probably been blown on - the prepared mix is delivered to the site.
Some Synthetic stuccos can be smooth finished - so can traditional sand & cement mixes.
What you are attempting in high temperatures is risky for a DIY'er.

Are you applying to a framed or a masonry background?
Is this a retaining or a boundary wall?
Was any kind of "metal mesh" used?

I have no experience with the materials you use, but in Southern France, for example, roadbuilders always pour concrete in the afternoon so it will not be exposed to the midday sun until it has had time to start curing.

in your position I would also use a fine water spray to wet and cool the wall before starting work, and to mist the new material during and after application. Wait until the sun has passed overhead and will not shine on your wall. When finished, hang plastic sheet over it to delay drying.

Cement products have negligible strength and hardness if they are not kept damp while curing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back