Plastering internal wall victorian house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have moved into a victorian house which had a dripping stopclock in the cellar, which has been fixed up and has now started to dry out. Now looking at the plaster in the room above it.

I have taken a picture of one of the (Edit: internal brick) walls, that was under the woodchip wallpaper.

At the bottom it has what looks like a cement level with a gypium finish, where the cement is the walls are damp. I've hacked that off in another corner and the bricks feel dry below.

Above that is the original plaster which breaks really easy and flakes if i dust it, with a finish which is rather damaged (i'm not sure of which type, doesn't seem like lime as its not that white, i'm assuming old gypsium?)

Now to my plan which i'm hoping to get a second opinion on from the research i have done.

Planning to hack off the hollow sounding areas and the cement areas. Replacing the backing with hardwall. Once that has set apply a layer of multifinish to the entire wall to smooth it all out.

Thoughts? Is this correct thing to go for?

Attachments

• WIN_20200103_20_43_34_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20200103_20_43_34_Pro.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 338
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Your method is fine if damp wasn’t involved. If a wall has previously had damp, you may need to apply further treatment/suitable plaster eg render/ dri coat to prevent hygroscopic salts showing after skimming

so your concerns are the walls in the room above the basement - a basement that previously had a dripping stop tap?

the wall in the pic shows what appear to be very clear indications of rising damp?
is that an outside wall?
there are signs that maybe its been treated previously for damp? what you call cement is probably a sand & cement render.
why not hack off all the plaster/render on that wall to about the height you've opened up? then post a pic.
can you also post a pic of the other side, the outside(?), of that wall at low level.

Here is a picture of the other corner where I have hacked the sand & cement off (that was in a similar condition to the other wall), the bricks feel dry underneath. These are walls between me and my neighbours and are not external walls.

The basement had a slow drip for a few years whilst the house was empty.

Do you know the name/type I should refer to the old finish/render by?

Attachments

• upload_2020-1-3_22-26-17.jpeg
    upload_2020-1-3_22-26-17.jpeg
    265.1 KB · Views: 314
Sponsored Links
is that a chimney breast in the latest pic?
can you take a pic of that wall below in the cellar?
do either of your neighbour's also have a cellar?

Yeah, it is a chimney breast. However, the wall to the right is also damp where the sand and cement render is.

My neighbours have cellars. Attached picture in cellar.

Attachments

• upload_2020-1-3_22-46-0.jpeg
    upload_2020-1-3_22-46-0.jpeg
    238.8 KB · Views: 292
as a precaution, and as a possibility of dealing with a chemical damp source - as above in post #2:

the chimney breast should be opened up in the original basement fireplace, and same with every blocked fireplace in the house, on every floor - and all flues to be swept.
all flues need a vent at the bottom, and an opening at the top for through ventilation.

do either of your neighbour's have similar damp problems?

the green on the cellar walls is an indication of damp/heavy condensation - is there adequate ventilation in the basement?
probe the joist tails as they go to seat in the wall - look for softness and rot.
are there any strong, distinctive smells in the house or cellar?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back