Plastering around bath - photo included

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a new bath fitted but pulling off the old tiles pulled away some of the plaster on 2 sides of the bath on the exteneral walls. See my photo here:

I spoke to a plasterer who quoted £80 to do it. He said he would do a rough plaster layer, let it dry and then a fine layer on on top.

I am thinking of having a go at it myself. Which materials would I need to buy and how difficult would it be to do?

Sponsored Links
are you tiling it afterwards ?

if you are don`t bother to plaster just level it off with tile adhesive then tile over it.

plaster wise multifinish will do the job , as it does not look that thick and looks like cement render under the plaster

I agree with the above.

Thing is, that skim doesn't seem to have ever bonded with the S&C float backing coat. If you have any doubts about the finish plaster then take it all off.
No need to re-skim, you can just, as above, fix tile on to the backing S&C. Butter the tiles and keep an eye on plumbness as you fix - especially with large tile.

Many thanks for the advice so far. Here is another photo that should be a bit clearer when clicked on to make bigger:

There will be tiles going on top of the plaster but I have not yet chosen them and I need to get the wall smooth in the mean time.

What exactly should I buy to fill the holes (pref something ready mixed if possible) and what should I buy to spread it with?

Sponsored Links
knock off all the remaining loose plaster , i like to use a saw and cut a line in the plaster so not to disturb good plaster.

a bag of thistle hardwall will be good enough to fill that if you are tiling over

or even a cheap bag of cement based tile adhesive , some times wickes have open bag`s for £1 :p

I personally would bring it all in with a sand and cement mix with w/proofer in it, floated in to match existing wall. This should give you a solid base to tile on. Nothing better than a s/cement wall for tiling on,, If you can pull the bath out a bit you can run your s/cement down past the bath and you will have something solid below the bath when you push it in to the wall. that way you will get a better seal on the bath when you silicon the gap between tiles and bath.. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back