Plastering around old Air vent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

I'm prepping for a plasterer to come in this weekend, pulled and old vent cover off to find this lurking underneath, lots of the mortar and a couple bricks at the top have a bit of wobble so I'm not sure about pulling it out. Will text the plasterer in the morning, but wondered if anyone has any wisdom to share!

Cheers :)

Attachments

• IMG_2856.JPG
    IMG_2856.JPG
    220.4 KB · Views: 205
Sponsored Links
Do you need it? I've filled a few of them if not required for gas or ventilation any more

Hi Wayners,

No don't need it. Would it be easy to fill? Expanding foam job or would it need bricking?

P

Remove the lot. Vac bad clean and pva. Cement up lose bricks. Board adhesive around edge and push plasterboard in and that way no wood to move with temperature change causing cracks over time. All solid.

If that is an external?
If so get a thermal block (just one from DIY) as easy to cut with saw and cement in. I pva the wall and block so it's easy to fit. Doing one today myself.

Outside wall repair, use duck tape on bricks to keep clean including the new ones. Fit them. Point up. Remove tape

That's small so maybe use thermal block if internal anyway

Sponsored Links
That sounds good. Cheers for your help, I'll give it a go today.

It's an internal wall and the vent leads out to an airbrick. Do I need to brick up or fill the whole cavity, or just leave it empty and plasterboard over?

Probably an old pantry vent, remove the frame and brick it up as suggested, you can leave the external vent.

Thermal blocks act as insulation but I think it's a better job to brick up outside... Not difficult to do if you tape up bricks. I jam bits of stone in to wedge to get bricks in correct place and you can really make a mess if your not good with cement as when you remove tape it's a tidy job

DIY sell sand and cement good to go in bag or tub. Just add water.

Small wood glue bottle is pva vs buying 5lt... 4-1 mix with water

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back