Best way to prepare this wall for a plasterer (old plaster plus lath too)?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Photo 28-02-2016, 9 46 41 pm.jpg

Obviously taking all the wallpaper off is #1.

The plaster had blown underneath the wallpaper, it was very crunchy & then when the paper was taken off & the plaster pulled out, this is pretty much what was left behind.

Underneath that rail, the top 'half' appears to be solid wall whereas the lower half seems to be plaster & lath. You can see a hole in the right side just above the angled skirting.

We've a plasterer who's going to do the job but he hadn't seen it without the wallpaper on.

If i can get an answer to the question here without calling him out just to take a look at it then great.

I don't want to have to knock off ALL the plaster above the rail. Everything left seems sound.

You can almost see a straight line above the top part of the big section of knocked off plaster - would you just knock off all the old plaster to this straight line & then down to the rail?

As for the lower half, which appears split in 2 halves, i'm not so sure.

Sponsored Links
I would ask him to look at it. He'll want to do it the way he likes to do it, and you won't know that if you don't ask him.

Cheers
Richard

As geraldthehamster.
It looks like at least one of the blocks where you have removed plaster has cracked.
May have been some movement and some metal lath may be needed in the undercoat plaster or render.
Let your plasterer decide how much plaster to take off and prep.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back