plastering big ceilings?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This ceiling is 8mx4m, needs boarding first then coving once finished. i'm quoting around £550, thats materials plus 3 days. not sure if i can do skimming in one hit...if i got another trowel to help will bump up price. then i'm worried sounds to pricey?? never sectioned off ceilings in two parts and am worried about blending the join... should i b?

Sponsored Links
I'd be worried, if I was paying you £550 for the job.
If there was two of you, it would be quicker. So why bump the price up?

I'd be worried, if I was paying you £550 for the job.
If there was two of you, it would be quicker. So why bump the price up?

I'd have to say I'm with you on this one. I look at it like this

A job is worth £x, one man gets £x , two men get £x/2

I think in this case , snasty, if you are not confident skimming the ceiling on your own, then don't because you will not only make a mess of it but you will have a horrible time doing it, under pressure all the time

You may have made a mistake in your pricing, by not assessing the ceiling properly first, but you are in the situation now so lets look at what we can do.

Presuming you can cove it yourself in a day(one man-day), why not tack and skim it using a mate in one day (two man-days)

This way it is still three man days and you will have a much easier time boarding it, you can relax skimming it and have a doddle of a day coving it. And you have gained a bit of experience in pricing work.

You will make the same money per day, but have a day's less work. To me that it much better than going back on your price.

Now this may sound harsh, and I know it is unfair to lads who are starting out but when you are a plasterer, a 32 m ceiling is just an average hit. It is much easier than doing 30 m split up into three or four rooms.

snasty, if you cant skim the ceiling in one hit then you are going to be left with a day joint, get some easi fill (tape and joint) and just smooth over the plaster at the day joint. once dried lightly sand down, and your done. :)

Sponsored Links
Remove all loose plaster and scrape the area to be repaired. Using a damp cloth, moisten all lath strip and remove dust from around the edges of the repair area. Use 2 parts mud and 1 part plaster, add a small amount of water to the mix and stir until it becomes creamy. Work the mud in around the edges of the hole, pushing some mud up under the edge to adhere the old plaster to the new. Apply your next coat around the outer surface of your repair area, overlapping the first layer of plaster. Place your mesh tape halfway over the old and new plaster. Let this coat dry thoroughly, depending on the amount of plaster in your mix. This should take about 15-20 minutes. After you have completed filling the area, let it dry thoroughly. Then continue to add plaster mix until the surface is level with the old ceiling or wall, also working around the outside of the repair area to cover your tape and to smooth the edges of the repair.

Remove all loose plaster and scrape the area to be repaired. Using a damp cloth, moisten all lath strip and remove dust from around the edges of the repair area. Use 2 parts mud and 1 part plaster, add a small amount of water to the mix and stir until it becomes creamy. Work the mud in around the edges of the hole, pushing some mud up under the edge to adhere the old plaster to the new. Apply your next coat around the outer surface of your repair area, overlapping the first layer of plaster. Place your mesh tape halfway over the old and new plaster. Let this coat dry thoroughly, depending on the amount of plaster in your mix. This should take about 15-20 minutes. After you have completed filling the area, let it dry thoroughly. Then continue to add plaster mix until the surface is level with the old ceiling or wall, also working around the outside of the repair area to cover your tape and to smooth the edges of the repair.
Your post makes no sense & doesn't appear at all relevant to the OP's question about plastering a large new ceiling; bit late for April fools :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back