plastering chimney breast for range cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

new to this site,, usually find out all my answers without having to post. ive just started a project and need advice. im a 8 out of 10 diy'er to give an idea of my ability

ive taken a section out of my chimney breast in the kitchen and put lintels in etc and touched up the brickwork and now ready to finish it with plaster.

ill be fitting a 900mm range cooker in the gap which is currently 950mm.

do i just plaster the wall or put plasterboard up?

what type of plaster should i use?

thanks
paul

Sponsored Links
If the area is going to be subjected to extreme heat, it would be best to apply a sand/lime/cement render rather than your standard plaster as this will crack.

ill be fitting a 900mm range cooker in the gap which is currently 950mm.

do i just plaster the wall or put plasterboard up?

what type of plaster should i use?

Has your range got a glass lid? Ours has which gets lifted before the gas hob gets used and so provides some shielding of the wall.
Our kitchen only has Bonding undeneath the multi, as I patched it up. It has been fine for 2 years. Maybe the lid helping this.
Our range is just up against a standard wall and not in a chimney breast like yours is, so may not be the same rules I guess.

I would also add that the render suggested by PBD is a good idea from another view.
In addition to being better for dealing with any heat, should there be any salts present (likely as chimney), then would help prevent hygroscopic effects through the plaster.
I know Rich C advocates use of heat proof plaster (e.g. vitcas) over the top of render for wood stoves when temps over 49degC, but not sure if cookers fall into the same bracket for generating same level of heat on the wall.
Suspect that the render solution with multi over the top would be fine?

I can’t see there being a problem with excessive heat from a range cooker, your probably OK to go with a render base (rather than boarding it) & Multi finish skim. My own 900mm range cooker sits against an ordinary rendered/plastered wall, but does have a tiled splash back.

Are you planning to vent a standard cooker hood up the flue? If so it probably won’t function at all well. The fan won't be capable of moving such a large virtical column of air & ventillation will be prectialyy zero; if the work involves Building Approval, BI probably won't accept it as the main source of forced ventillation.

Sponsored Links
hi

thanks for your replys..

the wife likes the idea of tiling the splashback and sides...

so. i will render the inside walls and then tile.. any pointers towards tile adesive or grout.

as for extraction im not using the chimney but an integrated unit so should be ok.

thanks

so. i will render the inside walls and then tile.. any pointers towards tile adesive or grout.
First read the tiling forum sticky & archive posts as recommended; post back specific questions if you need to.

as for extraction im not using the chimney but an integrated unit so should be ok.
If by integrated you mean re-circulating hood, they do not comply with current Building Regulations which you should be observing on a new kitchen install.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back