Plastering frame around glass bricks/blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just had a large hole cut in our wall between two rooms to take some glass blocks (one is the hallway which has no windows so we want to get light in). The wall is/was concrete blockwork with a scratch and skim coat. Everything I've read about glass blocks suggest that we use lintel above and build a frame inside the opening - which is what I've done, and fitted the glass blocks. The frame is made out of some old scraggy 3"x2" and inset about 10mm on both sides of the wall. So far so good. I imagined that it would just be a case of plastering over the frame upto the sides of the glass block mortar/grout, but apparently not so. I have a plasterer in doing some other work, so asked him to plaster the wall on each side. He tells me that he can only plaster up to the frame, not over it, because the plaster will crack etc.... I'm obviously not keen to leave the timber exposed as it will look naff..

I'm obviously aware you can't plaster timber, but I thought this would be ok as it's such a small section, I was thinking about using some stop beads so at least then the plaster would sit on them rather than the timber directly. Would it be any better to use easifill? any other suggestions?

Sponsored Links
It's not ideal to plaster straight on to timber, but as the area is only 10mm, I would have PVA primed the timber and would not expect any real issues.

I had a similar issue I uncovered an old hole in my hallway wall which used to house a fishtank "so I was told by a neighbour" they had put a timber frame around it and filled the middle with blocks, I got around it by putting eml over the wood then I float and set it no cracks has appeared and its been a few years now

Just wanted to follow up on this.... the solution (I hope!) was to screw some plasterboard offcuts to the frame, scrim tape those onto the plastered wall then skim the whole lot... looks ok..

Sponsored Links
Just wanted to follow up on this.... the solution (I hope!) was to screw some plasterboard offcuts to the frame, scrim tape those onto the plastered wall then skim the whole lot... looks ok..
yes that's a good way to go if you have the clearance for the plasterboard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back