Plastering/Skimming Fiber Glass Wall Covering

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Is it possible to plaster/skim over glass-fiber wall covering?

The problem is that the glass-fiber wall covering has been cut into by electricians who put in new wiring. So, I now need to patch up the surface somehow. The glass-fiber wall covering was painted with a gloss and is bonded to the wall with an adhesive that makes removal very difficult. I was told a stripping machine would be necessary and that the plaster underneath would need to be renewed. We did a test in a corner and it was difficult not to damage the wall when stripping it.

My options are:
1. Remove the wall-covering completely and then do a complete re-plaster and paint. (Costly and labor intensive)
2. Sand down the raised herringbone pattern on the glass fiber wall covering, then paint over it. (a suggestion made by a painter. note: glass fiber strands may fall apart if sanded)
3. Plaster over the glass fiber wall covering. (I've only seen one video where this has been done. A Danish company shows their product being used here on YouTube:

For those unfamiliar with glass fiber wall covering, it is mostly used in commercial spaces because it is super durable and hard-wearing. It's also used in homes to cover walls that have defects. The previous owners even put it on the ceiling in my living room. It's very difficult to remove without ripping off the wall plaster underneath. For this reason, I am avoiding refering to this glass-fiber covering as wallpaper. In no way does is it like wallpaper. I've had a lot of DIYs and pros give me advice on how to remove wallpaper. Unfortuanetly, it's not wallpaper. This glass-fiber covering has been on the walls for probably 25-30 years and it looks new. No seams are peeling up, no sign of dried out glue - nothing. This stuff is bonded to the wall and will probably last another 25-30 years.

Thanks very much for your time!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back