Plaster on UPVC frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, wonder if anyone can help. I recently had some plastering done and the plasterers have plastered over a newly installed upvc window frame (a vertical porchwindow). Not by a small amount but about 50% of the width of the frame. When I brought this up the plasterer complained about the quality of the walls and how hard theywere to plaster and said I could put some beading over. Does anyone have any suggestions of how I might clean up this mess, whether beading or cutting the overhang of the plaster? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
image.jpeg

Messy , it makes my blood boil to see sloppy work like that , it dosent matter how hard the walls are to plaster that's no excuse that needs making good it needs scraping back to wall level with a scraper but once you have done that you may see the wavyness of his skim where he's useless at cutting corners in so once back to wall level it should be cut all the way down the wall and made good with easifill its an easy job

Just to ask was the wall straight before skim it'd hard do see did he float anything? Its hard to see how straight the wall is

Sponsored Links
Obviously it would be down to any paid plasterer to fix.

But if you intend to remedy the business then cut it back to expose the full width of the PVC frame, & sand down.
You could cut back even further and patch-in and feather up to the frame.

Thank you all very much. That's really helpful info.

I think the plasterer was probably right to say the walls weren't straight to begin with although I'm still quite disappointed. Most of the plastering is spot on, just a bit rough round the edges in some places.

On a separate note, is it usual for a plasterer to leave the old plaster that was knocked off for the customer to clear up themselves? Only they left the old plaster in bin bags on my drive but whenever I've had work done in the past the rubbish has always been removed on completion.

Its things like edges and corners that separates good spreads from the bad ones as for the rubbish well it all depends if he agreed to take it

in regards to waste we get charged to dump it and its not cheap so really he should have asked you about it. I always say to my customers I will take it but they have to pay the extra. plus not many plasterers I know have a waste licence that covers them to carry it. the chances are slim of being done for it but it can happen so many wont carry waste

We'll be needing some more plastering next year so that's good to know, thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back