Removal of MultiFinish & PVA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

Plasterer has skimmed the entire house. Despite the Mrs trying to remove the offending MultiFinish using lots of elbow grease, washing up liquid, Magic Eraser, vinegar and Cif cleaning cream - the staining still persists. We are starting to get worried about how to remove it now.

Have any plasterers encountered this? The window frames are uPVC with a grain effect and the plaster/PVA & water mix has left terrible marks on all the window frames. Picture attached.

We hope there is a solution. Anyone?

Thank you.

Martin.

Attachments

• Window.JPG
    Window.JPG
    675.1 KB · Views: 214
Sponsored Links
Pva is water soluble and should clean off with hot soapy water.

As Alastair said it should come off with soapy water, but the plasterer should have taken a precaution in rhe first place, and taped around the frame. The best tape for this in my opinion is Frog Tape, works 100% every time.

Sponsored Links
Thanks lostinthelight - I'll give that a go.

@lostinthelight - did you use the Toolstation product on white uPVC or faux grain uPVC like in my picture above? Thanks.

If using water and detergent, you have to apply it (repeatedly) so it soaks in well and wets and softens the plaster or PVA. Repeatedly brushing or sponging it on should do. I've never found it all that difficult. You can use a thumbnail for hard bits. A wet green scourer works on metal or hard plastic, but the grained finish is not so durable.

I can't see how a solvent cleaner will soften plaster or PVA.

Thanks again all - got there in the end (well, most of it) with Cif cream cleaner and persistence!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back