plastering help !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have worked labouring for a time served plasterer, and thought i would have a go at skimming some walls in our house. i PVA'd then skimmed 2 coats, using board finish as my mate the plasterer said it has a better finish, its come out quite good but in some places it seems like there are small craters and crevices that i did not notice before it was dry. any help. will try to post photos later if i can, any ideas on where i may have gone wrong
regards Mark

Sponsored Links
Hi,
Quite plainly and simply ,and in no way am I being rotten,you do not have any experience at plastering (hands on) for real.That is where you went wrong.Although you may be able to put the plaster on the wall ,that is only the begining of the process.To be able to achieve the finish a plasterer can, takes years of doing it every day.Plaster,once it is on has to be worked at all the time with the trowel and water brush to produce a "cream",which you use to eliminate surface blemishes etc. as you go.This is what puts the finished look to the wall.You'll learn.Don't give up,keep trying but don't expect too much too soon,and good luck to you.It's a GREAT trade. Worth taking up.

Roughcaster

Plastering isn't some kind of black art.

Either you've used a poor quality PVA , mixed it too weak or the room was too warm.

All that's happened is the water has dried out too quickly. I sometimes have that problem if I leave my 500watt worklight under a ceiling that I'm working on.

You don't need loads of water when plastering, quite the reverse. You weaken the finish if you've got the stuff sloshing around like yogurt.

Sounds like you've almost got it sussed.

Hi All,
Who said this?
"Just get a plasterer,plastering takes years to learn".March 23,2006.

This?
"Plasterers have a 4 year apprenticeship.If you think you can do their job with no experience and a few lines on a forum,then you are in for one heck of a shock".April 6th.2006.

And this?
"Everyone thinks they can plaster,but without experience they can't".
June 22nd.2007.

And even this?
"I hope you've got some plastering experience or you'll make a right pigs ear of it".June 22nd.2007.

All of these comments were made by no other than JOE-90.

Nobody said that you need LOADS of water sloshing around when plastering,but you do need water flicked onto the wall as you trowel it over,especially if you have suction.The explanation given by joe-90 for the craters and crevices in the finished coat was, "All that's happened is that the water has dried out to quick".Reason for that,"Either you've used a poor quality PVA,mixed it to weak,or the room was too warm".OK,whatever.As you said in your opening comment,"Plastering isn't some kind of black art".We all know that,but the consistency of your opinion then and your opinion now are about as weak as the poor quality PVA you mentioned in your comment.

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
The guy has experience. He just has a niggle that he hasn't sorted yet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back