Plastering in an old cottage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The original plastering is smooth but slightly 'wobbly' (sorry but don't know how else to describe it). However no doubt will be repairing some areas (after removing some woodchip). Would a plasterer be able to get the same effect? I think a really flat, even finish such as you get on a modern wall would be out of character.

Sponsored Links
I lived in an old house and had dreadful trouble with plasterers. I did most of it (skim coats) , as I can't plaster it looked fine, but we did get a plasterer in to skim a ceiling. They plastered the ceiling and were just about to smooth it out when I stopped them, said it looked just right and thank you. It was smooth but slightly uneven. There followed a 10 minute discussion on why flat plaster would look wrong in a 500 year old house. The apprentice was most offended that they had to leave the ceiling not dead flat.
Whatever you do don't ask for a medieval finish, the plasterers I spoke to thought that meant a swirly finish.

Sponsored Links
How do you know that any of the plaster on the walls or ceilings is original plaster?

How old is the cottage?

Consider how many repairs, changes & remodellings have taken place over the years - if the background has changed then so has the original plaster.

Attempting to replicate something when you dont know what the original looked like will be difficult without a verified date for the property. But very commendable.
However, any attempt at "antiquing" will often look mickey mouse.

The correct mix for historic "lime plaster" can be difficult to figure out - not least because there are various kinds of "lime plaster".

There are many plasterers out there who can do a brilliant job with whatever you present them with.

The original might be a lime plaster.

Cheers
Richard

Yes I wondered
Does this mean that any patch ups have to be in lime and can plasterers use lime these days anyway?

Ideally yes. Find someone who can identify it for you. If it is lime and you need only to repair small areas, it might be worth having a go yourself. You're not aiming for a dead flat finish and lime plaster stays workable for much longer than modern gypsum plaster.

Of course you might not need to repair any of it.

Cheers
Richard

How do you know that any of the plaster on the walls or ceilings is original plaster?

How old is the cottage?
The cottage is circa 1750 and the lounge walls in particular have that undulating look as opposed to a modern flat finish so I'm guessing, at this point, that it might be original.

Of course you might not need to repair any of it.

Cheers
Richard

Oh I think I will! There are whole areas of woodchip upstairs which will most likely take off plaster when removed
There is a damp area on the gable end which is being looked at and downstairs we have a tasteful combination of what looks like original plaster wall (sound) with areas of woodchip :rolleyes:

FWIW: part of the almost forensic investigating that can go on when conservation experts search for dates and material applications is a sometimes required analysis of the wall "plaster".

Cottage owners from way back have been attempting to give their properties an old fashioned look - so "undulating" plaster proves nothing.

Given that you do not know what material, or combinations of materials, is on your walls then to do a proper job why not contact a national or local conservation society, and let them advise you further?

Yes I am building up links to heritage restoration services and I have someone coming out tomorrow night who may well know followed by another on Thursday.
Until then. to my untrained eye, it appears that certain areas with lovely old carved wooden cupboards set in 'wobbly' walls :mrgreen: are original period features in contrast to the very obvious dodge it and bodge it repairs and 'improvements'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back