plastering kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK silly question now, when plastering kitchen do you have to turn off the electric ?
I have a wylex fuse box and the cooker and down lights have own switch - but would all the downstairs sockets have to be off for the plasterers to do the job - half plastering and ceiling boards ?

Sponsored Links
You have to at least pull the switch faces/roses off the wall/ceiling to plaster behind them. I suppose it will depend on individual plasterers but I don’t usually leave the supply permanently disconnected. There are 2 ways of doing it; undo the screws & pull the face plate/ceiling rose away from the wall/ceiling, wrap it in a sandwich bag & tape it tight to the cables; unfortunately this means you still have to dodge around the switch plates/rose with the trowel. Remove the switch plate/ceiling rose completely, make a temporary termination into a terminal block, put this in a sandwich bag, tape it tight to the cables & shove it into the wall box or into the ceiling.

thanks I will prob get an electrician to do that cos I will have to move them a bit for new layout - when he fitted them they were in the main sunk into a metal plate and he said the plasterers could work round them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back