Plastering on old plaster and PVA question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just taken down small partition wall for walk-in cupboard in bedroom and now have 6 feet by 2 feet patch of ceiling to match up to main ceiling, with 3-inch gap where batten went which I'll put plasterboard in. It's much more thinly skimmed and slightly higher so I need to skim it with around 7mm of plaster. Got two questions:

As the old bit of ceiling is plastered and painted, should I key it with batten with nails poked through and skim over without using PVA, or should I key it, PVA it and then skim? Or neither?

Other question is should I do 3 coats or so to bring level down to match original ceiling? Any tips on blending the join welcome too!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Bond it with PVA then use a coat of bonding plaster. Just as it has gone off use your trowel to rake a couple of mill out so that it is slightly recessed. Then use your multifinish to bring to a nice finish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back