Plastering on Varish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Have stripped all the wallpaper from my hall and now down to the original
plasterboard --House is approx 40 years old and been informed that the fashion then was to varnish/glue onto plasterboard and run a comb thru it for wood affect ---so thats whats left on my wall had a plasterer in and hes unsure if plaster will take to this or even a bonder..

Has anyone came across this problem before or knows what to do

Looks as if I may have to fit new plasterboard or is thier an easier solution

Sponsored Links
I done a refurb job 4 years ago where there was eggshell paint on the walls and ceiling which is something similar to your job. What i did was mix up a grout with 1 playpit sand 1 building sand 1 cement and put 4 capfulls of FEBOND PVA to it and mix up like paint do not over water the mix. Brush on and leave for 24 hours to go off. Then you can bond or skim over it. You can gaug up the mix in a small tin or paint kettle and add to a bucket. Hope this helps you. :) S/S

Very similar way to S/Slashers,,, I put on neat PVA with bonding coat added, brush it on, leave it overnight, or as long as you like,, then plaster away!! Ceilings or walls,,,,as long as the surface to be plastered is sound. Works every time, whether its onto painted plasterboard walls or solid painted walls. You could also give the varnished surface a rub down first with a really coarse sandpaper if you wanted to, then apply/brush on the pva/plaster slurry. Pictures 3 and 4 show the slurry dried out,, and ready to be plastered. That's the first of 2 tight coats of bonding going on the wall in pic 4, to be followed by 2 coats of multi,,,,,, but 2 coats of multi finish on it's own would work just as well over the slurry coat "key"....... I also use a 4" brush as well as the 2". ;)

Roughcaster.

Thats for all the help will pass it on to plasterer he's a friend but not very expienced at least he admitted he would need help rather than do a rubbish job

Sponsored Links
I do the same as what roughcaster says but i use sand instead of bonding i might try the bonding next time saves me buying a bag of sand lol as plasterers always have a spare bag of bonding on the van incase of emergency!!

He won't forget - the post is from January.

i'm blaming tommy for that one!! where was that dug up from!?!?!

was away for a week and came back to loads of new posts, been wading through them at a speed to get back on top of things, you know how it is ;)

will pay more attention to post dates in future.

:LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back