Plastering onto Breeze Block

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I did use the search function but just need to clarify something.
Our plasterer says if he does plaster directly to the breeze blocks it may 'craze' do you know what that is?

Cheers
Paul

Sponsored Links
He means that the render/ plaster will dry out too quick and craze/crack!!What he is not telling you is that he doesn't know how to stop the render/plaster from cracking!!When a proper tradesman would know how to control it ;)

Our plasterer says if he does plaster directly to the breeze blocks it may 'craze' do you know what that is?

What a ridiculous for your "plasterer" to say. How does he think plasterers coped over the years, when plastering onto breeze blocks, or any other blocks/bricks with a lot of suction?
As Roy said, a "proper plasterer" would know how to prepare and cope with a high suction background before plastering onto it,
What was he, (your plasterer), hoping you would say, just dab some sheets of plasterboard onto the blocks so he can just "skim it", because he doesn't know how to float and set?
It amazes me how people like him, can call themselves "plasterers".
Be careful of people posing as plasterers who make excuses like that. It often means they don't have the ability to do the job.

Yeah it does worry me but I got him off Check A Trade maybe he is just trying to cover his arse but maybe ill get someone else in as like you said he should be confident he knows what he is doing.

[/quote]

What a ridiculous for your thing for your "plasterer" to say. How does he think plasterers coped over the years, when plastering onto breeze blocks, or any other blocks/bricks with a lot of suction?
As Roy said, a "proper plasterer" would know how to prepare and cope with a high suction background before plastering onto it,
What was he, (your plasterer), hoping you would say, just dab some sheets of plasterboard onto the blocks so he can just "skim it", because he doesn't know how to float and set?
It amazes me how people like him, can call themselves "plasterers".
Be careful of people posing as plasterers who make excuses like that. It often means they don't have the ability to do the job.[/quote]

Sponsored Links
I'd get another couple of local, recommended plasterers in for advice and quotes if i were you!! Take what "that plasterer" said to you as a warning sign. If you get someone in and the job goes pear shaped, you'll have to get someone else in to sort out the mess, which means you pay twice.
Another thing, "Check a Trade" and others like it, is NOT a guarantee you will get a good tradesman/job done. I would "never in a million years" use an organisation like that, or any other to find a tradesman. Go for a proven, locally recommended, word of mouth tradesman, someone whose work you can view. There are many aspects to plastering, it's not all about skimming. I think your man is out of his depth to be honest.
Ask around locally, but be wary of the person you have in mind at the moment.

I don't agree that Check A Trade is a bad thing at all no way we had a cousin recommend a builder to install some Gallows Brackets ...only to be told by building control that he has drilled some of bolts into the mortar between the bricks. So im hoping he comes back to us. But if he doesn't then we are screwed.( I wish I had used a builder from the Federation of Masters Builders now) At least with Check A Trade you have some idea if they are complete cowboys or not. They also have a photos of the work which has been done admittedly you never see bad reviews on there and it does cost alot to join the scheme but at last there is some kind of accountability there. They also get there insurance checked how many builders out there are running with out public liability insurance or professional independent insurance. I can also pay him via a direct bank transfer and ask for an invoice ..most builders want cash I wonder why ..no tax no accountability! its swings and roundabouts!

If you are not in the trade and new to an area it isn't always that simple.

I'd get another couple of local, recommended plasterers in for advice and quotes if i were you!! Take what "that plasterer" said to you as a warning sign. If you get someone in and the job goes pear shaped, you'll have to get someone else in to sort out the mess.
Another thing, "Check a Trade" and others like it, is NOT a guarantee you will get a good tradesman/job done. I would "never in a million years" use an organisation like that, or any other to find a tradesman. Go for a proven, locally recommended, word of mouth tradesman, someone whose work you can view.
Ask around locally, but be wary of the person you have in mind at the moment.

i agree with roughcaster and roy i would never use check a trade, and the fact that you have got him off check a trade says plenty, every spread worth their salt knows how to control suction so it doesent craze, if someone showed me a breeze block wall and said float and set it i would crack on with it, i wouldent say anything like "but it might craze" , you dont need much to join check a trade either i also have public liablity insurance and im not not a member of any organisation im not against people who do a good job thinking if they join these organisations that they may get more work, but there are some incapable so called tradesman that belong to these organisations that are clueless

Yes i can see it from your prospective Im going to let him do it as we need it doing tomorrow he only lives around the corner to me so if it does Craze ill knock on his door I can't see any reason for him wanting to s*** on his down door step if you can excuse my French :)

He has done an excellent job of the first bedroom but I agree he should have had more belief in his own skills. Does this site have any kind of recommended traders part? If not maybe the mods should think about it as something like http://www.ukbusinessforums.co.uk/ does and works really well.

i agree with roughcaster and roy i would never use check a trade, and the fact that you have got him off check a trade says plenty, every spread worth their salt knows how to control suction so it doesent craze, if someone showed me a breeze block wall and said float and set it i would crack on with it, i wouldent say anything like "but it might craze" , you dont need much to join check a trade either i also have public liablity insurance and im not not a member of any organisation im not against people who do a good job thinking if they join these organisations that they may get more work, but there are some incapable so called tradesman that belong to these organisations that are clueless

Does this site have any kind of recommended traders part?
that sounds like a good idea in theory but i dont think it would work, we have our own method of recommending people, sometimes we get people asking for plasterers in certain areas and if we know someone in that area we would recomend them, we know who to recommend to people and who would do a good job and we have had no complaints so far

Does this site have any kind of recommended traders part?
that sounds like a good idea in theory but i dont think it would work, we have our own method of recommending people, sometimes we get people asking for plasterers in certain areas and if we know someone in that area we would recomend them, we know who to recommend to people and who would do a good job and we have had no complaints so far

It's a fair point I used to run my own PC Repair company and yes word of mouth is best but equally advertising is very important to win new work who ever says advertising doesn't work is talking rubbish in my honest opinion.

I also work in IT and realise that most people these days look online as its quick and convenient a bit like this forum check a trade is both so will suit many people weather people like it or not. Have a web presence is essential these days yet many people don't have one.

The Federation of Master Builders ( what a pretentious title) are in business to line their own nest. Any imbecile can join just so long as they pay the dues and fees. Trade qualifications, and references are irrelevant - gimme the money.

When will it sink in with the public - that this well publicised and touted organisation is not out to protect the consumer, its out for its own members so that they can continue to pay their dues and fees.

FWIW: always use small or one person local tradespeople or builders, ignore all the nonsense certification/association malarky.

Again FWIW: no way have this site sponsoring or recommending tradespeople - it will lead to payoffs and all the above rubbish. I wouldn't contribute FWIW, and perhaps others would walk away too.

I agree with what Ree says. We have a local paper, and every now and again they have building/decorating tips and advice from some "unknown guru", who preaches this, that and the next thing, but always finishes with 2 lots of "advice",,,,, always use a contractor that's a member of "this federation, or that federation", and another favourite, "make sure you use a company/firm that is VAT registered", as much as to say if don't, you wont get a good job done. I don't know who this "guru" is, but i do enjoy reading the rubbish this person dreams up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back