plastering over damp proofed walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello people!
my house is about to be damp proofed and to save money i have asked the damp proofer to leave the plastering to me. it would be alot easier for me to use plasterboard over the treated area instead of render/ plaster, but im unsure if this would be a bad move.
Has anybody done a similar job or have advice?
cheers, mark.

Sponsored Links
it will void any guarantee , thats if you get one and if you do its not worth the paper its written on.

Sponsored Links
I presume you're having an injection dpc installed. This is a system that relies on two parts. The first part, i.e. the injection, controls but does not cure the rising dampness. The second part, i.e. the re-plastering, does two things. Firstly it prohibits the migration to the surface of any ground salts that are in the wall. These salts are hygroscopic and, if they get to the surface, will absorb moisture from the atmosphere. The second thing it does is to inhibit moisture within the masonry from reaching the surface too.

The two things work in tandem.

If you're going to dry-line the walls, then there's probably little point in injecting in the first place. If you do the dry-lining correctly then the dampness, if there actually is any that isn't the result of condensation, can stay in the wall until Kingdom Come without doing any harm.

If your walls are suffering from condensation, as are most of the ones that I see, then the dpc won't have any effect at all and in seven years when you come to sell and the building surveyor finds 'dampness in the lower reaches of the walls', your contractor, if he's still around, will come back and say 'Oh well Guv, that's condensation"

Asking if it's condensation now, why wasn't it condensation then?, won't get you anywhere, The water will be well and truly under the bridge!

Have a look at my website www.pdoyle.net for further info and to see what you're letting yourself in for

HTH

Patrick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back