plastering over polypipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would appreciate any advice anyone can give me b4 I get the plasterer in to fill in a chase that had to be made for polypipe central heating pipes coming down into the living room.

If they are just plastered over is there a risk of a crack developing? I was thinking that maybe encasing them in conduit might be a good idea, has anyone come across any such problems or am I worrying about nothing?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
if you put the heating just after he's plastered then yes more likely to crack as it will dry to quick.

useally fill the hole before plastering, he won't just fill gapping channels with plaster, they just skim the wall.

if you put the heating just after he's plastered then yes more likely to crack as it will dry to quick.

useally fill the hole before plastering, he won't just fill gapping channels with plaster, they just skim the wall.

Cheers- so basically as long as I don't have the heating on until the plaster has fully dried- I should be ok?

why don't you fill the channels in before he comes.
or he's got to fill them before he can plaster.

Sponsored Links
What would you suggest filling with? would expandible foam be a good idea?

Cheers for your help.

prd_browningco_hgh.jpg

browning
get from any buiders merchant or wickes etc.
just mix with water.

I would not plaster directly over plastic pipe, it changes length with temperature by about 1/4" for an 8' run from cold to hot.

I would not plaster directly over plastic pipe, it changes length with temperature by about 1/4" for an 8' run from cold to hot.

Would conduit be the best idea then- or could you suggest an alternative?

Cheers

Plastering directly over any service pipes is never a good idea, they will expand & contract & the plaster will crack in almost every case be they copper or plastic.

If you have enough depth cover the pipes with a lump of plasterboard but if not you could try covering the pipes with steel or plastic cable capping & plastering over that; standard procedure with cable drops. I’ve not specifically used it over pipe work but, hopefully, the pipes will expand & contract underneath the capping without damaging the plaster but there is always the risk of heat transfer causing the capping itself to expand & contract. Use Bonding plaster to fill out directly over the capping level to the surrounding wall, your plasterer will then reinforce the join before skimming the whole wall.

Plastering directly over any service pipes is never a good idea, they will expand & contract & the plaster will crack in almost every case be they copper or plastic.

If you have enough depth cover the pipes with a lump of plasterboard but if not you could try covering the pipes with steel or plastic cable capping & plastering over that; standard procedure with cable drops. I’ve not specifically used it over pipe work but, hopefully, the pipes will expand & contract underneath the capping without damaging the plaster but there is always the risk of heat transfer causing the capping itself to expand & contract. Use Bonding plaster to fill out directly over the capping level to the surrounding wall, your plasterer will then reinforce the join before skimming the whole wall.

Cheers Richard- I think what I'll do is fill the chase with expandable foam and then bridge over with 9.5 mm plasterboard stuck to the wall with plasterboard adhesive. Will then get my plasterer to feather this in- won't be perfect, but its in a corner so he'll only have to do this from one side and I reckon its better than having a crack appearing.

Thanks to everyone who has helped me out, hope the above gets head nods rather than tut tut tuts. Plasterer is coming on Wednesday so will have to crack on. Cheers again.

Cheers Richard- I think what I'll do is fill the chase with expandable foam and then bridge over with 9.5 mm plasterboard stuck to the wall with plasterboard adhesive. Will then get my plasterer to feather this in- won't be perfect, but its in a corner so he'll only have to do this from one side and I reckon its better than having a crack appearing.

Feather it in & it’ll look better than a crack :eek: ; I don’t think so! Trust me that will look a total bodge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back