Plastering over tile cement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently renavating my bathroom. After removing the wall tiles it seems as if the tiles was fixed directly to the unplastered wall. At this stage the tile cement is still fixed to the wall. Do I need to remove all these cement or can I skim over this. I don't want to tile the walls again - only in the shower. I am scared it will eventialy make cracks. Please look at my pictures attached[/url]

Sponsored Links
I wouldn’t even think about it; take it all back to brick then new base plaster/render & skim.

Thank you. Well that is me back to the hammer and chisel again!

Sponsored Links
What is drylining?? Or is that a stupid question?

What is drylining?? Or is that a stupid question?
Palsterboard sheets fixed to the wall; either on timber battens but most commonly in cases like yours, using dot & dab adhesive & then skimmed with finishing plaster. You could take this route but using standard plasterboard in (damp) bathrooms is not a good idea especially in showers or next to the bath where you need to use a waterproof backer board or tank the area. You would still have to remove the adhesive as it would be almost impossible to dry line such an uneven surface. The tile cement should come off the brickwork fairly easily with a bolster chisel & you could try a steamer to soften it first if necessary.

Thank you all for the advice! and I will definitely try the steam. It sounds as if it can make the task easier!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back