Tile backer board

M

marsaday

On my new wall in the bathroom i will have 2 cement boards where the shower will go, but the rest of the wall will be plasterboard. Can i plaster the cement boards?

If not then it will make the wall uneven for tiling.

Sponsored Links
naa its common practice to feather into the area where the cement boards are just make sure the plasterer feathers down into the cement boards as soon as the tiles, paint and tile bead go up you wnt even see it mate

As JR says, it’s common practice where the two meet; some cement boards will accept Multi but others may need prep (e.g. Aquapanel) so check which you have. Knauf actually say Aquapanel can’t be skimmed with conventional Gypsum & point you towards their nice & expensive "special" plaster but I regularly blend over with Multi (as in this case) or for making/skimming services access panels. I apply a couple of strong PVA sealing coats & leave to dry for at least 24 hours & then damp down with me spray bottle before skimming, just enough to “liven” the PVA again; haven’t had any fall off yet.

Sponsored Links
No don’t skim backer board before tiling or plasterboard either if your tiling that, it’s not necessary & reduces the maximum tile weight you can hang.

As 1john said there is no point; both JR & I thought you were talking about blending in a section of PB that isn’t being tiled but being plastered for paint/paper.

Research a little on this site, you wont have to look too far, infact almost every other post Richard C writes is about tiling and the best methods, what weights certain substrates will hold ect ect....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back