Tiling on damp plasterboard...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everybody,

On a mission to sort out my bathroom problems now that I have been made redundant!

I have taken down the tiles in my bathroom shower area where water was leaking for months through a bad seal. The wall (plasterboard on breezeblock) is damp in the bottom third but very secure against the wall.

Should I dry the board out completely before tanking/putting new tiles up (is this even possible in a reasonable time) or will I need to replace the whole plasterboard (with aquapanel or tile backer etc).

If it makes a difference, the plasterboard appears cement based.
Thanks!
Inigo

Sponsored Links
Plasterboard isn’t cement based so you need to establish exactly what it is you have, it could be some form of tile backer board. Does it have a paper lining under there anywhere? Plaster board is also very soft compared to tile backer board so it should be easy to tell. If it’s PB & been wet to any degree it will most likely look & feel like mush, if so it’s had it. Plasterboard isn’t suitable for wet areas anyway unless it’s tanked so it’s best consigned to the skip.

If it’s a backer board you have, letting it dry out thoroughly before your re-tile will be fine but if it’s PB, you need to remove it & start again with a decent tile backer board. I use Aquapanel, it’s a cost effective board & works very well. Post the Tiling Forum for further advice.

Thanks – that was a really quick reply!

Using your info, it is definitely not plasterboard. It is still hard and only lightly scores with a knife. No paper and grey, cement-like in colour...

I will repost in the tiling forum as you suggest too

Thanks again!

Sponsored Links
Could well be or one of the other cement based backer boards ;)

Sounds like you may well have a cement based tile backer board which you should get away with re-tiling as long as the tiles have come off clean, you dry it out & the bond/fixing to the substrate is sound; what’s it fixed to & how?

How old is the installation? If it’s a tile backer board you have it shouldn’t have failed if a quality trade tiling materials were use!

That looks like something the Mars Roamer may have taken but unfortunately gives no clue as to what it may be; try talking some pics further back. Can you see any writing or marks on the board? what’s the texture like?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back