Tiling on damp cement type plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everybody,

On a mission to sort out my bathroom problems now that I have been made redundant!

I have taken down the tiles in my bathroom shower area where water was leaking for months through a bad seal and soaked though to the wall in the next room. The wall (not plasterboard but a grey cement type board, on breezeblock) is damp in the bottom third but very secure against the wall.

View media item 49802
Should I dry the board out completely before tanking/putting new tiles up (is this even possible in a reasonable time) or will I need to replace the whole cement type plasterboard (with aquapanel or tile backer etc) ?

Thanks!
Inigo

Sponsored Links
Always best to let the area dry out, methinks - if only for the benefit of any timber etc thats lurking down there.....
Your pic is a wee bit confusing - the pink area looks like plaster, but the grey area is like cement render?
Aquapanel is an excellent tiling medium...it doesn't repel water, but water doesn't deteriorate it.
John :)

Duplicate post; //www.diynot.com/forums/plastering-rendering/tiling-on-damp-plasterboard.335993/

Inigo; I think we’ve already established it’s probably not plasterboard & you need to check exactly what it is you have.

I meant post the Tiling Forum with further info after you checked it out, not ask the same question which will only result in you getting very similar response which is that you can’t tile onto a damp substrate whatever it is!

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, and you're right Karis, I just wish I didn't mess up and post in the wrong sub-forum in the first place :(

I will endevaour (?) to find out what the board is and get back to you- deffo a board. John - it had been skimmed with plaster which came of like sludge - hence why Karis thought it could be swapped with an image from the Mars rover!!!

Inigo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back