Plastering over void

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just removed a door frame from between two rooms and am the 2 walls need filled in to make the walls of the 2 rooms become one.
My problem is the header....
There is a large space - approx 4 inches between the header in either room where the door frame used to be. Also the header on one side is about 1 inch lower than the header on the other.

I want these to run smooth into each other.

Can someone give me a step by step guide of what to do???

Helppppp.

Sponsored Links
I think I know what you mean, any chance you can post some pics??

If you can't then you can stick some plasterboard to the existing lintel / frame levelling it off by building up the shorter side with plasterboard adhesive then fix thin coat angle beads for a neat finish and skim over.

Or you can fix eml over the gap use standard angle beads to level between the rooms and build up with bonding in about 10mm layers then skim over.

I hope this makes sense!!

Are you saying you've removed the door frame and you want to make good where the old door frame was so that you just have a plastered opening between the two rooms?

Lower said:
Are you saying you've removed the door frame and you want to make good where the old door frame was so that you just have a plastered opening between the two rooms?

:LOL: :D :D :D, that's some stiff mix!

Sponsored Links
that is exactly the position I am in now!
knocked the bog and bath in to one and need to fill the gaps where the doorframes were. I went to B&Q and they advised a plaster mix called
thistle universal one coat, which says can be laid up to a depth of 25mm,which is just about right. I have plastered it but the last comment about the thickness of the mix bothers me,should I have made it really thick,as I now guess I should have!!
Will my tiles fall off whenn we have all the swingers in for the night!!! :LOL:
Well theyre not welcome anymore if my plastering is naff!!

that is exactly the position I am in now!
knocked the bog and bath in to one and need to fill the gaps where the doorframes were. I went to B&Q and they advised a plaster mix called
thistle universal one coat, which says can be laid up to a depth of 25mm,which is just about right. I have plastered it but the last comment about the thickness of the mix bothers me,should I have made it really thick,as I now guess I should have!!
Will my tiles fall off whenn we have all the swingers in for the night!!! :LOL:
Well theyre not welcome anymore if my plastering is naff!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back