Plastering over wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone recommend a plaster that will adhere to wood.

I've removed the glass panels and architrave that were above our doors and replaced them with plasterboard, but this still leaves the front edge of 3x2 studs that run from the top of the door liner to the the ceiling exposed.

Could i use self adhesive joint tape on the wood and then skim over that?

Sponsored Links
plaster just doesn't stick to wood.
when its applied to timber the water in the plaster mix causes the wood to expand. when the plaster dries and the wood contracts, you're left with a slight void.
the plaster will either sound hollow or, in most cases crack.
wood expands and contracts..........plaster don't.
what you should have done is remove the door liner completely, fixed the correct size studs, fixed plaster boards and skimmed.
you could always wood chisel back the door liner and re fix new boards.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. :oops:

Is there anyway i can seal the wood so that plaster has more of a chance to stick?

marev said:

Is there anyway i can seal the wood so that plaster has more of a chance to stick?

You could try chicken wire over the timber to give the plaster a key, but to be honest I think it would look bodgy and isn't really a good solution.

Start again and follow Noseall's solution - good practice for the next time :)

Sponsored Links
marev said:

Yes! Use SBR or SBR and cement mixed, paint the whole wall including the wood, this will give a waterproof coat which will be a great surface to plaster onto. also scrim tape on the joints is never a bad idea too. good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back