Plastering partially plastered wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had some work done to the house but a few jobs still need doing, which I thought I would try myself.

So I have got a wall which was previously obscured by a stud wall, now that has been removed there is an internal wall which is just breezeblocks on show. About 50% of the wall is already plasterered and seems to be done directly on the breezeblocks. So I am just wondering if I need to do anything fancy or if its a case of just removing the globs of existing plaster at the edged and then getting the bonding plaster up on there as straight as I can get it (filling in any holes along the way), then once that has dried skim over it with my finishing plaster?

Also am I ok to sand down browning plaster in certain areas? I only ask because last night I was trying to fill some holes in another room which were a bit too big for just using filler, but too small for a full plastering job, so I used the bonding to fill in the holes (and also a ceiling part which I had previously plasterboarded), and they were cracking a bit so I wasn't sure if I had missed something or if it was just a case of it needs another coat and sanding down then skimming... Some articles recommend putting in diluted PVA into holes to saturate the existing plaster but then others did not, so I was a bit unsure as to if this was a requirement.

I am new to this as you can tell, but rather than do something well but have missed a crucial part to this I just wanted to make sure I was not doing anything too crazy.

Sponsored Links
You would lay your base coat plaster, this is best levelled using a darby and plastic float, then keyed with a devil float. You must give a depth of around 3mm for your finish coat. Once the base coat has started to firm up, you can start applying your finishing coats, does not need to be dry. A two coat finish is recommend, one at 2mm and the second at 1mm.
Prior to laying the base coat, it would be wish to dampen down the walls

Ok will go look for some info on the points below, thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back