Plastering question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Can anyone help me? i yesterday made my first attempt at plastering and i didn't get the finish i was hoping for it is not horrendous but there are some areas that will need filling!! is it better yo just paint when it is fully dried, see the low spots and fill them, or shall i PVA and re-skim? there are some sizeable areas that are poor??

Any help would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
to be honest my opinion would be for the time its taken you to do it or to fill or to pva and re skin would have prob just got a plasterer in to do it... would have been finished now dried and painted, but only my opinion!

Hi,
I would let the plaster dry. Paint on one coat ( water down first coat 1 fifth, this helps stop paint peeling) look for any holes like you said and then fill them in and sand them off when the filler is dry. I would use "easy fill" its easy to use and easy to sand .
good luck
Scooty

The fact that the finish you got is not horrendous (which is what generally happens!) means that it’s probably worth you persevering with it. I take it you’ve studied the archive posts & other material so you are aware of techniques? The rest of it is down to experience & understanding what’s going on; plastering is one of the most difficult trades to master & almost verges on black art!

It’s perfectly feasible to re-skim the low areas but, for the inexperienced, blending in the join will be more difficult than the original plastering exercise so your probably better of using a DIY type filler. As scooty suggests, paint a mist coat & fill the areas that look bad but concentrate on bringing up the low areas rather that sanding the surrounding plaster back to match as it ends up a bit like ruffled velvet which will need a lot of emulsion coats to cover up.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I had the same thing on the first wall i plasted. I am a bit of a perfectionist as well and this made it worse. The light in the room also mad a difference as I had a window on the landing that made light shine sideway down the wall. The low points really stud out. I used a dry wall sanding sheet by Oakey on a on a poll and this was really easy to use compared to using a sand sheet with a block. You can pick them up from B&Q. Get the OAKEY pivot head as well. There were a few areas that I needed to re skim but the sanding worked a treat. I put PVA on and then painted. Give the plaster a good few days to dry naturally though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back