Plastering sand with/without stones???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, I've been rendering an external wall using a sand:cement:lime render. I used some bags of plastering sand that I had down in my cellar from when I did a similar job some years ago. Problem is, I ran out of sand and every bag of 'plastering sand' I've bought since has had small stones in it. This is no good to me. The three bags I started with were all very smooth and have given me a great finish. Is it still possible to get smooth plastering sand without stones in it? I'm guessing the stones give it extra strength, or maybe they provide a nice 'key' before applying a final coat - whatever the reason, it's no use to me...please help ;)

Sponsored Links
Depends on what you mean by "stones" - grit sand can be fine.
In fact, some old guys would add a little grit to the render mix to give it added strength.

Typically, rendering sand is sharp sand. But, believe me, all and every kind of sand goes on when the work has to be done. Professionals make it work.

Use a wood or plastic float (not a steel trowel) to give it a final rub up, & dont be splashing water everywhere, & you should come up with a smooth finish.

plastering sand is graded sharp sand without the stones sounds to me like you may be using sharp sand b&q do a nice prebagged plastering sand the grain is sharp but without the stones in it

Thanks guys. I'll have a look at B&Q tomo.

I have been using a wooden float to finish off, but occasionally when there's been a tiny stone in the mix, the float just drags it around scratching the final finish. This is what I'm assuming will happen with the new sand.

I suppose 'stone' might be too strong a word....could be considered 'coarse grit' but I think it'll still cause me problems when trying to smooth the surface. Perhaps I need to work on my technique! Maybe I'll just give it a go, see what happens ;) I got two bags of the stuff now...

The bags I started with were definitely labelled 'plastering sand' (from Bradfords). The two I bought recently were also labelled the same (one from Bradford's one from TP) but both had the small stones/coarse grit. Maybe I should just buy a bag of normal sharp sand??

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice Steve. Went to B&Q today but they didn't have any. Managed to find a bag of yellow plastering sand from CBS which looks fine. I haven't tried it yet....but I'll report back soon...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back