plastering - skim coat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the best way of getting a good finish on the skim coat ( apart from paying a plasterer)? I am only plastering up some chases for cables, but every time I have tried the finish is rubbish when it's dry.

Sponsored Links
Try using a watered down coat of PVA and allow this to dry and then do it again, then make up the plaster, making it not too thick. When the plaster is starting to firm up then trowel off, flatnning the plaster. Try not to get it too perfect in one go, as the plaster gets firmer, then trowel it off some more. When it is quite hard, trowel the plaster off again but use water with it. I use one of those garden spayers, the 99p ones, so to spray water on as you tfowel off.
If you want any more detail on this don't hesetate to ask. If you e-mail me i will try to be of more help.
waltone :p

cheers for the reply waltone. I will have a go as you've described and get back if I have any probs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back