plastering training

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Lads!!

I'm looking to start some work experience in the plastering trade (North East)...I have some basic knowledge and worked with a plasterer in my previous job for a window company. Basically I boarded window reviles and laboured for him etc. We also carried out some property maintenance where we took out acoustic vents and I bonded them up and cement rendered the outside. I have also boarded a couple of ceilings & taped them before he plastered them.

I have been working as a double glazier for the past 4 years but I'm looking for a new change of career...

Any help or advice would be GREATLY appreciated - I'm new to this forum so not quite sure how it all works but I'm sure I'll learn.

Thanks, Dan

Sponsored Links
Welcome to the Forum Dan. Plastering is a "great" trade to learn, and if you can get in with a plastering firm or even see what your local college has to offer, that'll get you started. You've got a basic knowledge of a few things, boarding/taping, patching, rendering, after having worked with a plasterer, so make a few enquiries locally,,, or even look into plastering courses.
Our good friends on this forum, Trowel Monkey and Richard C will give you some good advice on the way forward. T/Monkey been in a similar situation,,, he's now a self employed plasterer, as is Richard C,,, among many other things.:cool:
Good luck to ya. ;)

Hey,, sorry!!!!! I forgot to mention DIYnewbee99, and Ijohn. Both are getting into plastering, and getting on fine. ;)

Thanks roughcaster, as I mentioned the more advice and help the better as I really am desperate to get into this trade.

I have posted over 15 letters and CVs to different local companies, as well as numerous phone calls. The Job Centre isnt much help either! I haven't had one reply and they were all posted well over 8 weeks ago.
I was hoping that at least one company would be interested as I specifically stated that it was work experience I was looking for and wouldn't necessarily be looking for any kind of payment.

My local college enrolls in September so think thats going to be my best option, but if I'm honest, im not the most patient person in the world.... :confused:

Dan

Sponsored Links
Keep trying Dan,,,, pay the local firms a visit at their office, that'll show them how keen you are. Have a talk with them, you might get a nice surprise,, but keep the college option too.

I am suprised that you have received no replies offering to work for free and with some plasterers mate experience, have you tried phoning local plasterers out of the yellow pages, perhaps asking if they need a hand or anything, explain what you know to do, you may catch a one man band affair who cant afford to have someone help him, this way you can at least watch him work, this is where you will learn most things. You never know, he may end up seeing that if you were with him that he could take on bigger jobs and afford to pay you, but remember, for anyone to take on someone, that person MUST earn them more than they cost them.

The other option is to get into a collage, learn the principles and try and do some jobs around the house then maybe for friends and family untill you start getting competent, then perhaps you could start going out and looking for paid work as a self employed plasterer, there are benefits to this but the major downside to being self employed is that when there is no work, there is no pay and you need to be on the ball with budgeting and also able to collect a little nest egg of cash incase you have a dry spell.

After studying plastering at college this year this would be my opinion on college courses.

If you decide to do a college course enrol early and get your place, don’t leave it until last minute if possible, where you will have a lot more applicants and more competition for places. Do your homework on the quality of the tuition of any colleges. Search the internet, go down and chat with the tutors and talk to other students. Have they won any awards? Do they have the right materials? What is the general set-up like? Getting the right place is important.

Thanks lads, this advice is really appreciated.

I will go and make some personal visits next week, rather than writing to them. The same goes for the college.

Will let you know how I get on...

Thanks again :)

Some young students go to college solely for an EMA (Educational Maintenance Allowance 16-19). £30-00 weekly. Watch out for the disruptive ones, they’ll can drag you down. I would avoid any village idiots like the plague. (Go and walk around the shops at lunchtime)

If you have any basic skills problems Maths and English get them ironed out. English and Maths are compulsory on some courses, NVQ for example.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/skillswise/

If you have a good attendance, keep all your tools, area clean, do your homework on time, they’ll likely to have you back again if you want to do a more advanced course. (keep the door open)

Finally, I have enclosed a link to possible sources of funding:

http://skillsfundingagency.bis.gov.uk/training/

Best wishes

Thats brilliant, thanks a lot!

Your very right about avoiding the idiots, I have waited long enough for this opportunity and I wont be letting some kids ruin it for me.

Thanks again!

I’d collect two application forms for each course. Then you use one form for practice. The personal profile section provides opportunity to sell yourself and your undoubted enthusiasm for plastering. Remember, best handwriting and mint condition application form.

Submit your application forms in person and try and get receipts. (Occasionally forms can be lost). Some colleges acknowledge the application within 10 days . Find out at the counter when interviews are being held and what happens next.

If they interviewing now. You’ll be looking to get written acknowledgment of your application and an interview. Sometimes, interviews are combined with a basic skills assessment.

So you will need to be persistent with the college. If you here nothing, go back to the counter in two weeks and find out what’s happening and you’re looking for acknowledgment and to arrange an interview.

If you have to do a computer basic skills assessment don’t rush it. Use your time they give you to get the questions right and check your answers again once you have finished.

Try and apply to several colleges, so if one falls through you’ll hopefully have another college to fall back on.

When you get an interview I’d show up looking business like.

I’m changing colleges in September and have been offered a place by using the above approach.

If the college is interviewing now, being a bit pushy can pay dividends.

Now‘s the time to strike.

Good luck
:)

I’d collect two application forms for each course. Then you use one form for practice. The personal profile section provides opportunity to sell yourself and your undoubted enthusiasm for plastering. Remember, best handwriting and mint condition application form.

Submit your application forms in person and try and get receipts. (Occasionally forms can be lost). Some colleges acknowledge the application within 10 days . Find out at the counter when interviews are being held and what happens next.

If they interviewing now. You’ll be looking to get written acknowledgment of your application and an interview. Sometimes, interviews are combined with a basic skills assessment.

So you will need to be persistent with the college. If you here nothing, go back to the counter in two weeks and find out what’s happening and you’re looking for acknowledgment and to arrange an interview.

If you have to do a computer basic skills assessment don’t rush it. Use your time they give you to get the questions right and check your answers again once you have finished.

Try and apply to several colleges, so if one falls through you’ll hopefully have another college to fall back on.

When you get an interview I’d show up looking business like.

I’m changing colleges in September and have been offered a place by using the above approach.

If the college is interviewing now, being a bit pushy can pay dividends.

Now‘s the time to strike.

Good luck
:)

What a great, informative post Scob. All that a potential college applicant needs to know. It says an awful lot about you too. You'll go a long way. ;)

Scobs student guide to plastering courses.

I’ve noticed that some student don’t appear to be very self reliant (apart from bringing their lunch money) It’s creates a more favorable impression if the student brings his or her own pens and writing paper to class. Get yourself a note book and keep it in your pocket. Useful in the workshop for noting down things. (Something I should have done)

Any serious plastering student with aspirations to being a plasterer will buy a decent trowel. College trowels are more likely to be in bad condition. I’d go for a stainless steel Ragni with a soft durable handle - £16-00. If you lose it, its not that expensive to replace.

Plastering students shopping list

Essential

Stainless steel Ragni trowel with a soft durable handle

A pair of safety boots (steel caps)

Two pairs of decent overalls

Pens and paper

Notebook

Folder for putting all your stuff in. (Handouts etc)

Publications

Essential reading for students and set book on NVQ level 1 and level 2 courses.

Plastering Level 2 Student Book: Fresh, Practical Resources for Students and Tutors, Perfectly Pitched to Meet the Needs of the Level 2 Learner: Student Book Level 2 by Arthur Watkins (Paperback - Nov. 30, 2007) – Import (Taken from Amazon)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plastering-...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1275845465&sr=1-1

Background reading links

Health and safety issues are a central part of most recognized plastering courses, especially around fire,fire extinguisher colours and uses, signs, evacuation, workplace hazards,trestle tables , traps, your responsibilities, regulatory bodies.... PPE, ie ( suitable safety clothing and protective equipment), safety and storage of hazardous liquids. Detailed knowledge of Health and Safety is very useful. Learn it thoroughly. They’ll test you on it.

Health and Safety websites:

http://www.workplacesafetyadvice.co.uk/using-personal-protective-equipment.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_and_Safety_Executive

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_and_Safety_at_Work_etc._Act_1974

I have to agree with roughcaster, you have been really helpful scob, thanks very much.

I have thought about buying a few plaster boards and setting them up in the garage to have a practice. Would you recommend a marshalltown trowel?

Health and safety is so important these days so those websites will be really useful - its certainly something I'm going to have to remind myself of.

Marshaltowns are better made trowels, Daniel, but they are more expensive than Ragni. Marshaltowns are worn in along the edge of the trowel which gives immediate better when skimming.

If the trowels not worn in it will leave lines when you are skimming until the trowels worn in.

If you take a Marshaltown to college and you lose the replacement cost is more that’s why I suggested buying a Ragni. It wouldn’t be as much as a loss to you.

Ultimately, you’d be better of eventually working towards buying two trowels although for some money is tight.

I’m a student like you and not a pro plasterer but that’s what I’ve seen at college.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back